problems running 10.4.11 on 8-core Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tijn2001, Apr 3, 2010.

1. tijn2001 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. Here's the story....

I have a 15" Macbook running 10.4.11 and I was given a Mac Pro to use by my boss who is upgrading to a faster system. He completely wiped the drives when he gave it to me so he suggested I just directly clone over my existing Macbook drive onto the startup drive of the 8-core system and start using it, which I did, using Carbon Copy Cloner.

The system boots fine, it works great, Logic works fantastically better than it did before -- except that I am getting unexplained crashes in all sorts of programs. First I thought it was only happening in Logic, but now I'm noticing, it's also happening in Safari, Firefox, MS Word, Excel, and also, VLC Player will not show video for certain codes now, and if I try to enlarge a video to the full screen the file will crash. i can't tell when a crash is coming - the program will just vanish after i click on something, for no reason. Sometimes there's an error message (which usually displays "KERN PROTECTION FAILURE", or something like that?) but sometimes there's no error at all, the program just closes with no notice.

I am trying to avoid having to buy the full version of 10.6 as that would mean probably having to buy Logic Studio (as my current version of Logic, 7.2.3, is not tested for Snow Leopard), for a combined cost of $569 plus tax. EVentually I might be wiling to do this, but for now I'm wondering, what can I do to make my system more stable -- or is 10.4.11 just not meant to work on 8-core systems?

Here are details of both systems from system profiler:

original laptop
    Macbook Pro 15"
    Intel Core Duo
    1.83GHz
    1 Processor
    2 Cores
    L2 Cache per processor: 2MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed : 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP11.0055.B08

new desktop which the laptop drive was cloned onto:
    Mac Pro
    Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    2.8GHz
    2 Processors
    8 Cores
    Memory: 6 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05

Any help beyond "just buy the new software and get it over with" would be much appreciated :)

Thanks!

2. emt377 macrumors member

Sounds like a memory problem. Check that the memory sticks are properly seated, then run a memory test.

3. G4DP macrumors 65816

Sorry mate totally wrong answer. Has nothing to do with the memory.

That machine should not be running Tiger. It was shipped with Leopard. That is the reason for the crashes.

Call Apple and see if they will send you a new copy of the original system disks or you can go out and purchase Snow Leopard which is obviously a lst resort. They shouldn't have a problem sending you original system Leopard disks though.

4. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Hello

Tiger (10.4) is not meant to run on 8-core Mac Pros with the 64-bit EFI
    You will get all manner of problems when doing so.

The 1st generation Mac Pro 1.1 with 32-bit EFI (2x 2 core XEON) will run Tiger correctly.

My suggestion is to install Leopard or Snow Leopard and see how the Apps behave.

Good Luck,
    Keri

5. tijn2001 thread starter macrumors newbie

makes sense....

yeah, i guess the 64-bit thing makes sense, thanks for the insight KeriJane/ G4DP -- for now, i am hoping to get the Leopard discs from the Mac Pro's original owner, otherwise I will just have to buy the Mac Box Set to upgrade it to Snow Leopard and cross my fingers that Logic 7.2.3 works fine (i've heard conflicting reports -- it is "untested" officially, some people say they have no problems, others have major issues).

thanks again!

6. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

Sidetrack a little ...
    Here's a thought, not even sure if it is possible as

Using either VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop to run 10.4.11 (if you really must need it) in 10.6.x. I understand that one can run (certainly with caveats) 10.6 server as a guest OS.

Guest OS Support ...
    VMware Fusion does list Leopard (10.5) support but Parallels Desktop only has Snow Leopard (10.6). Both do not list Tiger (10.4) support. But one can always try and wish for the best results after all, these virtualization software even supports Windows 3.1 and older OSes :confused::eek::p seriously no idea what smilies I should use to show my emotions .... Ha!

Links
    - http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-10958
    - http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/resources/sr/

7. teeck2000 macrumors regular

8. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

And do you really think it was a good idea to clone a notebook image to a totally different desktop system ?!?
    I am surprised it even boot !

10. tijn2001 thread starter macrumors newbie

so what do i do then to fix this "laptop clone on a desktop machine" problem.... i don't have the original Tiger install discs anywhere i don't think.
    will installing snow leopard fix i'm assuming?
    (and yes - the Mac Pro does boot fine, it's just, some applications don't open, some applications crash after 5-10 mins)

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Sorry dude, but you have got a Mac Pro for free: what's the problem in buying a copy of Snow Leopard ? It is very cheap, I can't understand ...

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Snow Leopard would the obvious fix at this point; a clean install and then a file migration.