Problems Running Cubase on Nehalem Mac Pro 2.66 8 Core

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mortitude, Apr 14, 2009.

1. mortitude macrumors newbie

Hi. Can anyone with a 2009 mac pro please confirm if they have been able to run Cubase properly on their new machine? I have tried to load Cubase SX 2 on it and it loads ok, but I can not record audio. I was considering upgrading to Cubase 5, to hopefully remedy this, but I read the following on the Cubase site regarding Hyper Threading:

"We have found that many plug-ins and other applications do have severe problems when more than two CPUs (virtual or not) are used. Though Nuendo and Cubase are capable of dealing with more than two processors, the plug-ins and instruments loaded into the host may not.
    Solution

* If you are running a single Pentium 4 CPU system, enabling Hyper-Threading results in an increase of processing power.

* If you are running a Xeon HT multi-CPU system or a Pentium Extreme Edition dual-core system, you should disable HT in the BIOS.

* The same applies to the new Intel i7 ("Nehalem") processors that also feature Hyper-Threading. We are currently investigating using an Intel i7 on both PC systems and the latest Mac Pro models with HT enabled in conjunction with our sequencers. As long as our tests are still ongoing, we recommend turning off Hyper-Threading in the BIOS on PC systems. As this is not possible on the latest Mac Pro systems, we cannot recommend using those systems until further notice."

Any clarification on this would be appreciated. Considering I've forked out considerable money for the new Mac Pro, I'm hoping I will be able to run Cubase on it, in some way or another.

2. Ploki macrumors 68000

3. myca macrumors 6502

If you download the developer tools you can disable hyper threading, it may be worth giving that a shot if you run into any problems.

4. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

You'll have to wait until Steinberg sorts this out. Which, given their history, may take a year or so. ;)

Also, it appears that the internal FW gives horrible performance in Cubase, despite the fact that Mac Pro uses a TI chipset. People on Cubase.net are reporting huge performance boosts after installing third-party PCIe firewire cards on Mac Pro. All FW ports on a Mac Pro run on the same bus, so if you have firewire devices like external hard drives, the internal FW is useless for your audio device -- you need an extra FW card. But, oddly, even people who have no additional FW devices plugged in are seeing much better performance when using a third-party FW card.

5. chet.d macrumors member

Wow, I just saw this as I'm just now seriously seeking to get an 08 OR 09 Mac Pro 8 core for Nuendo 4.

Is this still considered to to be the case? I have Ensemble (clocked by Big Ben) going in firewire to my older Mac as well as FW drives? Really need an 8 core at this time though.

Thanks for any insights.

6. chet.d macrumors member

Can anyone say if if this is said to be true for 08 AND 09 MP's?