Problems running iPhoto / iMovie 08 away from home

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jamesarm97, Sep 20, 2007.

1. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I have this problem with iMovie and iPhoto 08. I have a heck of a time trying to run them while away from home. Most of the time it is while trying to impress 'PC' users and can't do anything but Force Quit.

The apps run, but then get the swirling busy icon and a message keeps popping up: AFP Connection, "Looking for Livingroom". It eventually shows connection can't be found, then repeats. The program never lets me do anything. I am sure this is because my library (iphoto) has a few external links to a shared drive and is looking for them when it runs. Why can't it just timeout quickly and not show anything that has an external link that can't be found?

Is there any way around this? I tried rebuilding the iPhoto library while not connected to see if it would remove the items. This affects iMovie too, I guess because it tries the show photos from the Library to add to a movie.

Any help is appreciated.

- James

2. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I have about the same problem. WHen I am away from home, iPhoto will look for my base station and the hard drive attached to it. I (should) have all my pictures on my computer, but I got them off the hard drive attached to my base station. How can I keep iPhoto from constantly looking for my base station when I am away from it????

3. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I deleted the aliases of the movies on my macbook and iPhoto does not look for the base station any longer.