Problems running 'Memtest'...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peanutismint, Apr 11, 2011.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I fear that some 'cheap' RAM I purchased might be the cause of my system's instability, so I purchased the program 'Memtest' to try and diagnose the problem.

The program comes with instructions on how to run it from single user mode, and suggests the command to run it, unfortunately it doesn't seem to work - I don't even seem to be able to navigate folders when in single user mode; it tells me something about no disk being mounted or similar?

The memtest instructions seem to think that single user mode will automatically log you on as the user 'root', which puts you at the top-level directory of the boot volume. I put the 'memtest' folder in the same root folder of the boot directory, but I don't seem to be able to navigate to it from the single user command line.

Do I have to somehow mount the drive first before I can access the files on it? And if so, any idea as to how? (I've found the 'mount' command but am unsure as to what switches etc to use and don't want to break anything! :))

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

The commands to mount the drive are listed in SU mode when it boots up.

3. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Hmm if they are then the whiz past way too fast for me to read em! :)

I've tried 'mount -?' to list all the switches etc, but similarly that all goes by too fast to read - is there some sort of modifier that lets me read the 'help' screens page by page?

Also I've done a bit more digging and found some commands that should supposedly let me mount my boot drive to gain access to the memtest program, but they don't seem to work........ Of course the memtest readme doesn't mention any of this! :)