Problems running windows 7 on iMac 27

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by interconnected, Nov 7, 2010.

1. interconnected macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I tried to install Windows 7 Professional on my 2010 iMac 27" but I'm running into a few problems. The biggest issue I'm having is that windows doesn't seem to recognize my screen resolution. I can only select from 16:10 resolutions; there are no 16:9 options. I tried updating all my drivers (by going through the control panel options) and updating the system software but it still won't give me the option of selecting the proper resolution.

The second problem I have (which might relate to the first) is that I can't seen to get any games to work. So far I've only tried Civilization V, Mass Effect and Fallout New Vegas, and non of them will start up.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. interconnected thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm nobody else has this problem?
    I recently tried to remove Windows 7 and reinstall XP, because I knew that worked back when I had my 24" 2008 iMac. However, once I got through with installing it, I noticed that the screen was stretched too. Again it didn't seem to recognize my screen resolution. However, in this case I did not install any drivers because I had problems with connecting to the internet, but that's getting a little offtopic.
    Essentially I wanted to install XP to see if it was a Windows 7 problem (not detecting my screen resolution and not launching games) or if it was something related to boot camp/my imac. It seems as though both version do share some problems, so I have to ask: can windows run on a mid 2010 iMac (core i3) with the proper resolution and without having games crash?
    Again I do not really want to get XP running, I want to get Windows 7 running, so if anyone has any pointers, please relate them to Win 7 and not XP.
    Hopefully someone knows what's going on cause I don't anymore!

3. moomoomoo macrumors newbie

I am having the same screen problems with size. Any success on fixing this?

4. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Are y'all using boot camp, and do you have the latest firmware on your machine?

5. rwlcpa macrumors newbie

I was also going to suggest to make sure that you have all of the bootcamp drivers installed. I am running Windows 7 Pro via VMWare on my 21.5" iMac (2010 model) and it is working flawlessly regarding the screen size.

6. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

No problems on a 27" iMac i5 here (64-Bit Win7, Boot Camp Drivers 3.2). Stalker & Co. run nice and dandy at various resolutions.