Problems saving as pdf

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lowedown, Jan 16, 2009.

1. lowedown macrumors newbie

I'm new to the Mac World so I'm sure there's a basic explanation but I can't figure it out.

I have a 4 page word document that I'm trying to save as pdf. When I do, it saves it as 2 separate pdf files. The first page is file 1, and it saves pages 2-4 as a separate file. I cannot figure out how to get it to save the whole file as one pdf document. seems kind of dumb for it to separate it like that.

any ideas on why it's doing that and how to get it to print all together?

any help would be appreciated,
    Dave

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Are you saving to PDF using a Word function, or are you printing to PDF using the Print dialog box? I've never had a problem using the Print dialog to create a PDF.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Is one of your pages Landscape? I know that when I have a landscape page in the document is split into separate PDFs. If not that perhaps it is some odd page formatting that is causing it to happen.

In terms of forcing it to produce one document I do not know of a way*. Although I know of a work around.

Open one of the PDFs inside Preview, and make sure that the side bar is displayed (View - Sidebar). Then drag and drop the second PDF onto the sidebar, then arrange them in the order you want (can drag the thumbnails in the sidebar around).

Once you have it set up as you like it, go to File - Save and choose the PDF option.

:)

A bit of a hassle with the extra step but if you are only doing this a few times it is not that bad.

*Might be a way with 3rd party tools such as acrobat pro or whatever it is called.

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I didn't know that - cool, thanks

5. lowedown thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I'm in Word and I go to the file menu and select print. It pulls up the Print box and I select "save as pdf" on the bottom left. Before I select that, I make sure that "all" is selected where it asks what pages to print.

and no, none of my pages are in landscape mode.

If deselect all, and instead tell it to print the range from 1-4 (there are 4 pages total), then it ends up printing each page as a separate document.

I cannot figure this out.

I was able to merge the two files using the Automater feature. but that seems like a lot of extra work to do each time.

I tested some other files and most worked fine. I cannot figure out why this file does this. I thought maybe there was a setting or option that I needed to reconfigure somehow.

thanks for your help and if anyone has encountered this problem and knows how to correct it, please post.

thanks...