problems seeing how many SMS's remain!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    1 problem i have with the iphone is the lack of an sms counter... i have 1500 texts, so it is pretty impossible to 'estimate' how many you've used...

As some of you know you can call *3282# (*data#) to receive a txt (free?) from at&t stating how many texts you have remaining.

The service doesn't always provide your current sms balance and sometimes gets a little behind, usually by no more than a single day.

but for some reason, right now it tells me that i have 273 sms's remaining as of 11/28!!!! that is 5 full days ago!!! And these need to last me 3 more days... I'm pretty sure i've used at least 250 texts since the 28th, so i have completely stopped texting anyone for precaution.

So here is my question. Is this service delayed for anyone else or is it just a current glitch with my account? Before i hear your comments i'm just going to let you know i will be getting unlimited texts starting as of Saturday, I am sick of running out.. :mad:

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It's normal to get a day behind. Everything is working fine for you.

AT&T has to track probably over a billion little things like this on their network, so of course, it will take time to update.

3. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

save the stress, spend the extra $5, and never worry about counting again!!!

4. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Maybe you didn't read my post thoroughly.. it is 5 days late.. and in 30 minutes it'll be 6 days late.

yes, yes. as i mentioned above i am spending the extra $5 now, it will go into effect on saturday! :)

5. sheebal macrumors newbie

sheebal

I believe this has something to do with ATT's end. You may want to try calling them and inquire about it. Good luck! :eek:

6. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

7. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

nope. I was pre-2.2 for a few weeks. it gave me a few problems that didn't really make it worth the small benefits. i wasn't really into the themes and i ended up never really using the jb apps. the only thing i miss is the 5 icon dock :mad:

8. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

oh and mr at&t employee, i figure u would be the best to ask. it's a little late now, but are the texts from *data# free?? it doesn't say if they are but i have heard here on MR that they are. BUT my own personal experience has tended to suggest otherwise. i have tried many tests and it seems to appear it does use one... but it could just be reading old ones super slowly and 1 at a time.... :rolleyes:

i sure hope they are free though because over the past 3 days i have used it like 30+ times to see if it has updated... this would mean i have DEFINITELY used over my limit :eek:

9. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

yea any of the star services, as they call them :rolleyes: , are free. do them all day and get back at the cell company!! jk