Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

border terrier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
England
Apologies for the question but I am stumped here and can't find any info to help me via the interweb and google.

I run a MBP and a MacPro with 4 drives. I have a BT Home Hub 3 which I can access via either max wirelessly or by ethernet. I want to be able to create a 'sync' drive on the MacPro that I can then access over either wireless or ethernet from the MBP. I have managed to get file sharing working but it's not working as I want it to and I can only seem to access the drive from the MBP whilst connected via ethernet. Also using the 'go' 'connect to server' option doesn't find the device in fact I cannot see either device from the other except in the Shared section.

My router has EPNP enabled and I can see ALL devices on my devices, iPad, iPhone (connected wirelessly) and both macs plus Apple TV and my printer.

Can someone advise me how best to set up a home network and how to get this syncing done between the MBP and the drive on the MacPro or please point me where I can find out the info.

I'm running 10.8.2 on both machines. Thanks in advance.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
First all welcome to wide world of sharing.

1. Make sure all you Macs are in the same subnet (meaning that they all are connect to the same router).

2. On each Mac go to System Preferences->Sharing tab and in the Sharing pane select File Sharing and add all the users you have on other Macs.

Also tell us if you want to connect to it over the Internet (hint programs like Slink or ShareTool will make you Internet connecting so much easier on a Mac).

Lastly make sure that if you have any other wireless network around you then the BTHomeHub (hint get the free iStumbler beta to see if other networks are around your wireless network).

border terrier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
England
Thanks fast the fast response and welcome!

1. Make sure all you Macs are in the same subnet (meaning that they all are connect to the same router).

They are on the same subnet and connected to the same router. There are only two macs.

2. On each Mac go to System Preferences->Sharing tab and in the Sharing pane select File Sharing and add all the users you have on other Macs.

I have done this. The MacPro user has R&W access to the whole MBP HDD and the MBP user has R&W access only to a particular drive on the MacPro and this is the drive I want to access wirelessly or via ethernet and to have syncing from the MBP.

Also tell us if you want to connect to it over the Internet (hint programs like Slink or ShareTool will make you Internet connecting so much easier on a Mac).
No, I connect via my router.

Lastly make sure that if you have any other wireless network around you then the BTHomeHub (hint get the free iStumbler beta to see if other networks are around your wireless network).

I think your sentence is incomplete here, at least I don't understand what you mean.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
No, I connect via my router.

I think your sentence is incomplete here, at least I don't understand what you mean.

I mean in your home network setup for the Bt Home Hub has a wireless setup so that tell me it is doing NAT (Directly connected to your ISP modem). Since it is wireless it is already transmitting there might be OTHER wireless networks around you that your wireless is on the SAME wireless channel. The free utility should be used to check to make sure your wireless setup is not being interfered with from pother close by wireless networks.

In private (home) wireless network only the router CLOSET to that ISP modem should be doing NAT. Any router behind that main router should be setup NOT do NAT.

Last edited:

border terrier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
England
I mean in your home network setup for the Bt Home Hum has a wireless setup so that tell me it is doing NAT (Directly connected to your ISP modem). Since it is wireless it is already transmitting there might be OTHER wireless networks around you that your wireless is on the SAME wireless channel. The free utility should be used to check to make sure your wireless setup is not being interfered with from pother close by wireless networks.

In private (home) wireless network only the router CLOSET to that ISP modem should be doing NAT. Any router behind that main router should be setup NOT do NAT.

Still not sure what you mean. I am able to see the LAN connected and wireless connected macs if I log onto the home hub and they all have internet connection fine, (MBP, MP, iPhone, iPad). What I cannot do is access the '2nd' drive bay of my MacPro from the MBP except when it is connected to the LAN - it won't connect wirelessly.

Also, on my LAM connected MacPro I can see the router and the MBP in finder but on the MBP I can only see the router. I can't see my printer on either mac in Finder but I can print OK. Hope I explained this better.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Do the Mac Pro and the wireless Mac Book Pro & the Mac Pro have the same subnet IP address (that would have 192.168.1.x or the first three octets of the IP address the same? If they are they are in the same 'IP subnet' and are on the same data network, sharing with a user account/password should work as long as your turn on sharing in all the Macs.

If the BT Home Hub truly acts as a router the IPs and DHCP server should be in the same network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.