problems setting up Time Capsule as simple wireless backup disk

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jacanterbury, May 27, 2011.

1. jacanterbury macrumors newbie

May 27, 2011
    I'm in an office environment with imac connected into wired network over which I have not control.

I've got a new time capsule that I want to use soley as a wireless backup disk and not for any networking. (so not connected to any wired or wireless work networks, not to dsl...- only wirelessly to the imac which itself is wired to the company network)

There seem to be a few posts with people not being able to set it up for this purpose and some tantalising ones saying it can be done but I've not found any that give details of how.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2008
    USA (Virginia)
    No one else has responded yet, so I'll give it a try, although I'm no expert!

I think what you want should be fairly easy. I think what you want is to set up the Time Capsule (TC) so it creates a wireless network, which only your iMac can access. Once you do that, Time Machine (TM) will be able to backup your iMac wirelessly.

You say you want the TC "soley as a wireless backup disk and not for any networking," but here I think you're mistaken. To be used as a wireless backup disk, there must be some connection to the TC! If you want it to be a wireless connection, that means a network. So, have the TC create a network, but have your iMac be the only machine able to access the network. Make sense?

Using the Airport Utility, this should be easy to set up. (Airport Utility->AirPort->Wireless->Wireless Mode=Create A Wireless Network). Give it a good password so no other computers can connect. You can even make your new network invisible to other computers. (In Airport Utility, pick AirPort->Wireless->Wireless Network Options->Create a Closed Network).

Your new wireless network will not be connected to the Internet or anything like that, and none of this should affect your existing wired connection to your office network. I will continue to work as always.

Hope this helps.

3. jacanterbury thread starter macrumors newbie

May 27, 2011

Thanks for your helpful reply Brian - it now seems to be working as desired :)