Problems sharing External HD over Airport Extreme network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Galrash, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Galrash macrumors newbie

I just purchased a 1.5 TB Western Digital MyBook Essential. I tried plugging it into my Airport Extreme so I could access it wirelessly across the network but I can't seem to get it to work. I have followed all instructions I could find and still no luck.

I tried plugging it directly into my Win7 PC and it came up just fine and I was able to put an HD movie on it. Then I tried plugging it into my Mac and it came right up and I could play the movie without any problems (although I did notice I couldn't transfer any files off my mac onto the HD).

I then plugged it back into the Airport Extreme and went to disks and it showed right up with 1.4TB free. I then adjusted all the File Sharing Options as follows:

X - Enable File Sharing
    Secure Shared Disks: With Airport Extreme Password
    X - Remember my password in keychain
    AirPort Disks Guest Access: Read and Write
    X - Share disk over WAN

Workgroup: WORKGROUP
    WINS Server: WORKGROUP
    For some reason I still can't see it in finder to access the files on the MyBook Essential. I can't pull it up on my Win7 PC either.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

2. RobHead macrumors newbie

Did you ever get this to work and if so what changes did you make because I'm having the exact same problem and I'm pulling my hair out here

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer