Problems since migration.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shivetya, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Well first is I have to admin accounts, the one I created when I turned on the MBP and the migrated one. Can I delete the first out right?

Second, I have items on the Finder side bar that say "The volume for xxxx cannot be found". I can't remove them or seem to fix them. This occurs for Music, Pictures, and Download.

How do I recover from that?

I am trying to find where 60g of my disk space is and it isn't easy. I have a feeling I have to do the migration all over again and frankly I am not happy about it.

All my apps came across... but my music isn't here and neither is my downloads from the old machine

2. zhell macrumors newbie

Here's what I would do

I would keep two admin accounts handy, but set the password of the one you never use to something really complex and write it down on a piece of paper you put somewhere save, such as at your mom's home.

As to those sidebar icons, maybe try to disable all of them in "Finder->Prefernences", then log out and back in, and re-enable them.

To find out where your space went, enter this command in Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo du -sch "/Volumes/Macintosh HD"/* | egrep '^ *[1-9][.0-9]*G'
    This should yield a list of folders that use multiple GBs. If your disk is not called "Macintosh HD", replace it with the name of your disk.

3. Shivetya thread starter macrumors 65816

I found a different way to fix those naughty places.

Within Finder I could not even click on them. However when I went into the preferences area of the library and double clicked on an item to edit it I had a slight problem.

All attempts to save wanted to make a new document. That was a boon because on the left were all the items I expect on Finder (this was a save file dialog). Well - I could grab the bad places and poof them.

Go figure.