Problems Starting Up G4 Quicksilver

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wahwah82, Oct 22, 2007.

1. wahwah82 macrumors newbie

Hello People,

New to the forum and a Mac newbie :confused: and my father has just bought a secondhand G4 Quicksilver, so you might be hearing alot from me:rolleyes:.

We had it up and running and everything was fine, until it froze and i held the Power Button in for several seconds to restart it.:(

Now we can't get it to start up again and all that happens when i press the power button is three 'beeps' and the power button flashes continuosly. The fans are going etc. however no video or signal is going to the monitor.

Any Ideas would be much apriciated??

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Sounds like a hardware failure....or at least something inside is loose/has a bad connection.......first culprits would be:

A) ram sticks/hard drive cable/video card not fully seated into their sockets

B) Video cable loose/not fully seated

C) Loose power supply connections

D) CPU Heastsink was installed incorrectly.....the pressure point in the clamp (on the short end, bent inwards) HAS to be directly over the CPU chip, if not it will cause the CPU to overheat & fry itself into molten gobbly gook oblivion........

any/all of these are consistent with freezing and then failing to restart except for the 3 beeps.....it's the apple way of telling you something is drastically wrong with your hardware :p