Problems switching between Mac and PC with an extrenal harddrive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacDeeDoe, Jun 22, 2008.

1. MacDeeDoe macrumors newbie

I recently bought a WD passport external USB hard drive and partitioned it in the FAT32 format in to 2 divisiosn (125 GB each). I transferred my music files on to the WD and backed it up on to a Windows Vista PC. After this, I recheked switching between the two systems before deleting the original files from my Mac (ibook g4). Now I am not able to transfer the files back since, everytime I hook up to windows, the extrenal hardrive cannot be verified by my mac and I have to reformat it again. I am stuck. Please help.
    Thanks

2. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

This might help you out
    http://forums.macworld.com/thread/98077

3. MacDeeDoe thread starter macrumors newbie

I partitioned it in FAT32 format as suggested. I am able to plug it in to Windows Vista, which recognises the format and transfer files. But when I plug it back in to the iBook, it refuses to recognise the drive once it has been touched by Windows. I have to reformat the disk and end up losing the files. Also, my WD passport is 320 GB and I partitioned it in to 2.

OK. I just found something else. I formatted my WD yesterday on the MAC (Disk utility, MS-DOS file formatted), and I plugged it in again this morning, but the disk failed to mount and when I checked the disks , it says that the disks have errors that cannot be repaired.

I am not sure whether it is the extrenal harddrive or the computer. Any thoughts?