Problems Syncing

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by warburg, Dec 8, 2010.

1. warburg macrumors 6502a

My wife and I both have an iphone 4. From the beginning, we've had a problem syncing the phone with itunes. When I plug the cable connecting the phone with the USB in my MacBook Pro, with itunes open, either nothing happens or a sync will begin and suddenly terminate before completion. Usually, after several trials, I manage to get a sync. I wonder whether this has anything to do with the connecting cables we are using. When we got the iphone 4 we did not separate the new cables from those we used with our iphones 3gs, assuming there was little difference, and we use them indiscriminately. Could this be the cause of the problem?

2. jthomp macrumors regular

If your unsure, try a different cable. From my own use, an Apple cable is an Apple cable, as long as it's an Apple cable. :D Someone gave me a cheap chinese replacement cable that was nothing but trouble every time I tried to sync. Doesn't hurt anything to give it a shot and see!

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

It is probably the cable. Apple should replace it no problem if something is wrong. Two times they have replaced on site my USB to dock connector cables because the rubber lining began to split at parts, even though this was clearly not a manufacture defect but because of my rough use.

4. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

I sync my iPhone with the cable that is in reach they are all the same. Have you tried a software update yet? Have you tried a friends mac?

5. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I've compared the four cables and plugs that I have and it seems that they are identical. I always do manage to sync, but it's sometimes on the first try and usually after three or four tries. I'm going to isolate the cables and try them out one by one. I'm also going to see if it matters which of the three USB ports On my MacbookPro 17' I use. I also have a 15" MacBookPro, but I don't want to sync on that because the itunes on that computer is not up to date.