Problems that are starting to annoy me.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sk8mash, Oct 2, 2009.

1. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Today I turn on my MacBook Pro and it has probably frozen about 8 times for about 30 seconds each time. Any ideas why that could be?

Also, i'm not sure if this is since snow leopard, I don't think it is, but every time I sleep my MBP or restart it my default sound output is switched from my external speakers to the built in LED display ones... why?!

Also, my LED display, if I dim the brightness it hums like an overhead power line if you know the sound I mean?

Any help appreciated.

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Recently bought MacBook Pro, perhaps with 7200rpm drive?

It's an issue for some recent MBPs. Beachballing, click beep issue etc. Worth getting a check. Some say that using Snow Leopard cache cleaner can help (there's a thread here on macrumors for instructions).

3. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I'm almost convinced that the beach balling is from the stock HD. If my HD has to work even a little, boom, beach ball.

I can't wait to get a WD in my MBP

4. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I have a stock 5400rpm HD. The thing is, most the time it doesn't happen, but every now and then it will keep doing it until I restart :S

5. Panzo macrumors 6502

many thrads abotu this, if you bought a macbook pro in june 2009, you along myself and others have bought a aluminum box of hurt.

Weclome to the "I am a semi functionl mac and im a pc" club.

6. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

So sad but true. I wonder if it's the firmware update, or both drop sensors, or the SATA-II conversion of the controller, or perhaps even some sort of error caused by SD card slot? It seems that only Macs from June with SD card slot are affected... and I have seen reports of all HDD types doing this but not SSD.

I wonder why this hasn't become more of a priority? Does Apple really not get how badly so many are affected? Does Apple not give a damn; too worried about iPods and iPhones? Or is Apple so screwed on the issue that there is no solution?

Doesn't this seem like something that should be a distant memory by now? Nightmare at that...

I am luckily an MBA owner, but I have seen the spinning beach ball from Hell on many MBPs used by friends, colleagues, and grad students... and no matter how much RAM their "Pros" hold, doesn't seem worth the tradeoff to me!

7. ijyt macrumors member

Wait what? Man I'll be so pissed if I have issues with my new MacBook Pro 13.

8. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

It's good to see Apple is still product testing on consumers, at this important time when they're trying to highlight their stability and reliability with their ad campaign. :(

I feel your pain. My Powerbook G4 was one of the in-between models as well, and it was a problematic lemon for years.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Think there's a beachballing issue beyond the 7200rpm drive issues. Tehy've stopped some of it, but not all, even for the 5400rpm drives.