Resolved problems to put an image at the right spot

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by grandM, Aug 18, 2015.

1. grandM macrumors 6502a

Oct 14, 2013
    Hi guys

I'm using auto layout. I put an image inside an UIImageView. This imageView is positioned using auto layout. As long as I am using a natural image all is fine. Of course when no image was provided I want to add a plus sign. This plus sign gets stretched because the imageView is using scaleToFill. So I decided to put this code inside viewDidLayoutSubViews():

self.wifeImageView.frame = CGRectMake(self.wifeImageView.frame.origin.x + self.wifeImageView.frame.height * 2/3, self.wifeImageView.frame.origin.y + self.wifeImageView.frame.height * 1/3 , self.wifeImageView.frame.height * 2/3, self.wifeImageView.frame.height * 2/3)
                self.wifeImageView.contentMode = UIViewContentMode.ScaleToFill
                self.wifeImageView.clipsToBounds = true
                self.wifeImageView.image = UIImage(named: "Plus")
    This code works fine. Till I rotate the device. Then it's stretched all over again. If I use the same technique inside didRotateFromInterfaceOrientation(fromInterfaceOrientation: UIInterfaceOrientation) the imageView keeps getting smaller and shifting. Anyone got a suggestion how I solve the rotating part? Thanks!
  2. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68040

Sep 2, 2008
    If you're using auto layout then you don't set the frame in code. The constraints control the frame.

I recommend the tutorials on to learn auto layout.
  3. grandM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 14, 2013
    Problem was the image got streched too much. I solved it by putting it a frame with a lot of whitespace. Once again my sincere thanks.