Problems today with YouTube on my iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BradM73, Nov 2, 2012.

1. BradM73 macrumors newbie

So this morning when I got up, I decided to check on one of my videos on my YouTube channel, but when I opened Safari to watch it, all that appeared was a black box. Some of my other videos, and even many of other people's videos do the same thing. At the same time, there are other videos that play just fine.

I decided to do the update to Safari that came out yesterday, and I rebooted my iMac and still have the same problem. I can watch the video just fine on my iPad though.

Any thoughts as to what might be wrong? This is a late 2011 iMac running 10.7.5

2. AppleInLVX macrumors 6502a

AppleInLVX

I had this happen today too. While I don't know exactly what the problem is, I fixed it by opting out of the HTML 5 trial. I apologize for not providing a link to the relevant page, but I'm not at my iMac. Do some looking to see if you can opt out.

That said, I kinda WANT to use HTML 5, so I hope this is something Apple addresses sooner rather than later.

3. BradM73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is the HTML 5 link on YouTube or A setting on my iMac. I did notice a message this morning about having to use my real name, which I did opt out of. I didn't see anything about HTML 5 though.

4. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

youtube.com/html5

5. AppleInLVX macrumors 6502a

AppleInLVX

Thank you... that's the one. Last link on the page... just opt out. This is what worked for me.

6. BradM73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I'll try it when I get home later. Thanks!

7. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

Same exact problem here, link works!

Thank you :)

8. BradM73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Forgot to come back and post an update!!!

Yep, that worked. It was the html5 issue and the link took me to where I could opt out of the program. Thanks again for the suggestion!

9. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

Safari is the actual worst browser. Just get Chrome.