Problems transferring files over my network??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stuart.mccollum, Nov 16, 2008.

1. stuart.mccollum macrumors member

hi guys,
    This morning i was trying to copy over some files from my windows laptop (XP PRO) to my iMac by just going into finder, finding the files and then dragging them onto my mac desktop. These files are pretty big about 600mb and some small music file 3-4mb.

When i drag them over onto the desktop the file is created ok but the file is empty? This happens for anything that i transfer and it was working last night before i went out. I also tried going into itunes and adding a song to my library, then went and clicked on the song on the windows laptop but again nothing happens, not even a progress bar?

I have also tried all of the above on my MacBook Pro and the same thing is happening? I find this very strange and would really appreciate it if you guys could help me out.

2. stuart.mccollum thread starter macrumors member

It actually works if i go to the windows laptop and browse the network for either of my mac machines and drop the files in that way?

But i dont want to have to keep doing this, i didnt spend all this money changing to mac to have to go back to my windows laptop to tranfer files?

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

What do you mean the file is created but empty? is it 0k? Did you try with a single small file?

4. stuart.mccollum thread starter macrumors member

yea i tried everything right down to creating a simple text document but nothing works.

When i copy any file over the icon appears on the desktop and thats it, it doesnt have any size it is just 0kb???

When i transfer files from mac to mac all is fine, no issues.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

wonder if it's just dragging a link over? do a get-info on the icon and see what you get.

6. stuart.mccollum thread starter macrumors member

its definatly not a link as if it was it would open up the program or file and it doesnt?

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

8. stuart.mccollum thread starter macrumors member

9. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

weird. did u try using ethernet instead? sounds like a bizarre problem. also r u sure u have enough space on imacs HD.

10. nplima macrumors 6502a

try folder share

www.foldershare.com

it will break down your big files and check each section upon receipt.

(I should get a commission every time I find some new use for foldershare :) )

11. nplima macrumors 6502a

Just to add that this looks like a firewall configuration issue. Can't be sure but you may want to try disconnection from the internet, disabling the firewall and trying the file transfer again.

12. bericd macrumors member

PPC binary

Much as I like foldershare, the fact there is no universal binary available puts me off.

getdropbox.com is better, being universal, but transfers seem to be much slower.

mesh.com (microsoft), is what foldershare seems to be turning into, but is still unstable on my mac (still in beta, which for microsoft means alpha).