Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsprimal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
i've been using liteicon and iconfinder.com to change my dock icons. for those who are familiar with using liteicon, im only able to change the finder, dashboard, trash empty/full, "url"??, and widget icons. these are easy to change with a simple dragging and dropping of the icon you want onto the icon you wish to change.

but as for the other icons you may have put on your dock, im totally lost on. for an example, i've been trying to change my ichat icon, and ive read to click "get info" on the icon i chose to change it to, and click command + c, then go to the original ichat "get info" and click edit, then command + v (copy + paste obviously) and it's not working? i'm totally lost on how to change such icons that aren't listed in the liteicon application!

the other question is how do i change the application/document/download icons on the dock? even through liteicon, i'm not able to change it.....

do i need a certain kind of file type?

thanks for taking the time to read all! :apple:

JDMZed

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2009
I just figured out how to change the MS Office Icons today after dealing with much of the same difficulties that you were dealing with. Here's what I did:

I opened the .icn file in preview. It opens as an uncollapsed list. I collapsed the list and copied the image.

Then I went to the app, clicked get info, and then clicked on the icon in the upper left corner so it was highlighted and pasted over it. You may or may not see the image you pasted or it might have a white circle with a bar through it. Don't worry about that. Your icon is there.

If the icon picture doesn't change after you pasted it, then create a duplicate of the app and it will appear in the duplicate. After I changed the icon once, I had to do this to change it again.

Then remove the app from the dock and drag the new one into it.

Also, for other icon changes, you might want to try Candybar. It seems to be a popular choice for managing icons.

Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.