Problems trying to setup Slingbox Solo in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by infobleep, Nov 25, 2011.

1. infobleep macrumors regular

Aug 10, 2008
    Hi there

I have a Slingbox Solo which I am trying to set up with no overall success as of yet.

I have been able to:
    * Get an IP address for the Slingbox
    * Set up the port forwarding on my 02 Wirless box IV router so the port 5001 is forwarded for both TCP and UDP
    * Assign a static IP address to my Slingbox
    * Link the port forwarding to my Slingbox IP address
    * Install the plugin for Safari
    * Allow Safari to accept incoming connections.

However despite doing all of that, when I run the setup programme on I just get i message saying it was unable to locate the Slingbox.

I am wondering if it is a firewall issue with Snow Leopard but if it is, I'm not sure why or how I create exceptions for it as Safari is already set to allow incoming connections.

Kind regards

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?
  2. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Sounds like everything is set up correctly, are you sure the router is port forwarding port 5001 correctly ?

Check it out by using shields up :-

I don't have anything special set on my MacBook Pro.

I use mine using fluid, its much cleaner than using Safari.

Fluid App :-

Browser User Agent :-

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_8; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Safari/531.21.10

Homepage for your Slingbox :-
  3. infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 10, 2008
    Having got sick of not getting the Slingbox to work I decided to go down the supported route and install the old software. After that I allowed incoming connections to it.

Surprise surprise, I was able to set it up and working. Supported and it works.

However can I get the Web Site to work? No I can't despite it being the supported route and the route where all new firmware will be sent.

Still it is a start and better than nothing. At least it proves I'm doing something correctly.

Kind regards

Thank you for your reply. I was typing my previous one as you sent yours. Port 5001 is certain open.

I guess I could try restarting my Mac. I tend to keep that as a very last resort as it means suspending my virtual Windows and closing everything else down. I tend to put my Mac to sleep most of the time.
  4. infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 10, 2008
    Hi there

I am able to connect and watch TV on Slingbox's Web Site but I still can't setup the Slingbox using it.

Every time I do that it says it can't find my Slingbox. I'm doing both in Safari and I restarted my computer.

Perhaps I should have tried the watch TV first but when I started, I still had to figure out setting up the port forwarding, as I'd not done this before on my current router. After that I didn't think to try watch TV as I'd reasonably expect that I'd have to set it up first. Rather strange.

So this suggests a problem with the Slingbox setup assistant on their Web Site. After all nothing is changing at my end as it's only one web browser. Perhaps a bug.
  5. infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 10, 2008
    I've located the problem down to this. The Slingbox Web Site and or Plugin, thinks I am outside of my own network when I try to connect to the Slingbox.

Yet the out of date and unsupported standalone application thinks I am within my home network, which is why using that I was able to connect and setup my Slingbox.

Kind regards
  6. infobleep, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011

infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 10, 2008
    I just wish to follow up my postings and add the following useful link:

Slingbox have created a player for Facebook and someone else on the following discussion board found out the direct link, as it is flash based:

From that I was able access my Slingbox locally, as it says local and not Internet beside the name. Using this information I ascertained that the only route that was not allowing me to locate my Slingbox was the Slingbox plugin for Safari. Which therefore leads to the high possibility of it being a bug with the plugin and not anything I'm doing wrong.
  7. infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 10, 2008
    I have gone even further with my own testing.

Safari; Chrome and Firefox would not locate my Slingbox on the network. I didn't try anything else after that, those being the most popular.

Of course as I am not following a step by step guide, there's no such thing, I keep jumping all over the place as I try to attack the problem from different angles. This leads to some possibly helpful information passing me by. Every so often I found a help document when searching.

Anyway today I got it to work and on my Mac too. However not in Snow Leopard. No in a virtual copy of Windows 7 running Internet Explorer 9, within VMWare Fusion. I even had to switch from Sharing my Internet connection to bridged networking to try this out. I'm lucky that I have a virtual copy of Windows. Not every Mac user has a copy.

So within that I was able to get the Internet Explorer plugin to not only find my Slingbox locally but also set it up for Internet viewing away from my Network.

When I rang Slingbox up today, the very nice and pleasant American suggested I plug my Slingbox in directly to my router, as it may be that my gigabit switch is causing a problem. I thought if that is the case then there must seriously be some buggy programming going on. A work colleague thought it an unnecessary step but has experience of jumping through hoops before companies actually deal with the real problem. Of course it didn't make any difference when I did plug it in directly. So it still suggests buggy programming on Slingbox's part for their Mac plugins.

So if you don't have a copy of Windows and/or are not technically minded, I don't recommend buying the Slingbox at this time. It is great once you get a connection set up but the problem is getting one set up and from my own experience, I found it was impossible to do a Mac without Windows. I am happy to be proven wrong of course.