Problems trying to setup Slingbox Solo in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by infobleep, Nov 25, 2011.

1. infobleep macrumors regular

Hi there

I have a Slingbox Solo which I am trying to set up with no overall success as of yet.

I have been able to:
    * Get an IP address for the Slingbox
    * Set up the port forwarding on my 02 Wirless box IV router so the port 5001 is forwarded for both TCP and UDP
    * Assign a static IP address to my Slingbox
    * Link the port forwarding to my Slingbox IP address
    * Install the plugin for Safari
    * Allow Safari to accept incoming connections.

However despite doing all of that, when I run the setup programme on http://setup.slingbox.com/ I just get i message saying it was unable to locate the Slingbox.

I am wondering if it is a firewall issue with Snow Leopard but if it is, I'm not sure why or how I create exceptions for it as Safari is already set to allow incoming connections.

Kind regards

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

2. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

Sounds like everything is set up correctly, are you sure the router is port forwarding port 5001 correctly ?

Check it out by using shields up :-

https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=5001

I don't have anything special set on my MacBook Pro.

I use mine using fluid, its much cleaner than using Safari.

Fluid App :-

http://fluidapp.com/

Browser User Agent :-

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_8; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Safari/531.21.10

Homepage for your Slingbox :-

http://watch.slingbox.com/watch/sideview?playerType=

3. infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

Having got sick of not getting the Slingbox to work I decided to go down the supported route and install the old software. After that I allowed incoming connections to it.

Surprise surprise, I was able to set it up and working. Supported and it works.

However can I get the slingbox.com Web Site to work? No I can't despite it being the supported route and the route where all new firmware will be sent.

Still it is a start and better than nothing. At least it proves I'm doing something correctly.

Kind regards

----------

NogbadTheBad,

Thank you for your reply. I was typing my previous one as you sent yours. Port 5001 is certain open.

I guess I could try restarting my Mac. I tend to keep that as a very last resort as it means suspending my virtual Windows and closing everything else down. I tend to put my Mac to sleep most of the time.

4. infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

Hi there

I am able to connect and watch TV on Slingbox's Web Site but I still can't setup the Slingbox using it.

Every time I do that it says it can't find my Slingbox. I'm doing both in Safari and I restarted my computer.

Perhaps I should have tried the watch TV first but when I started, I still had to figure out setting up the port forwarding, as I'd not done this before on my current router. After that I didn't think to try watch TV as I'd reasonably expect that I'd have to set it up first. Rather strange.

So this suggests a problem with the Slingbox setup assistant on their Web Site. After all nothing is changing at my end as it's only one web browser. Perhaps a bug.

5. infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

I've located the problem down to this. The Slingbox Web Site and or Plugin, thinks I am outside of my own network when I try to connect to the Slingbox.

Yet the out of date and unsupported standalone application thinks I am within my home network, which is why using that I was able to connect and setup my Slingbox.

Kind regards

6. infobleep, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011

infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

I just wish to follow up my postings and add the following useful link:
    http://download.slingmedia.com/player/embedded/v14/austinapp.swf

Slingbox have created a player for Facebook and someone else on the following discussion board found out the direct link, as it is flash based:
    http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com...bsite/slingplayer-for-facebook-now-available/

From that I was able access my Slingbox locally, as it says local and not Internet beside the name. Using this information I ascertained that the only route that was not allowing me to locate my Slingbox was the Slingbox plugin for Safari. Which therefore leads to the high possibility of it being a bug with the plugin and not anything I'm doing wrong.

7. infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

I have gone even further with my own testing.

Safari; Chrome and Firefox would not locate my Slingbox on the network. I didn't try anything else after that, those being the most popular.

Of course as I am not following a step by step guide, there's no such thing, I keep jumping all over the place as I try to attack the problem from different angles. This leads to some possibly helpful information passing me by. Every so often I found a help document when searching.

Anyway today I got it to work and on my Mac too. However not in Snow Leopard. No in a virtual copy of Windows 7 running Internet Explorer 9, within VMWare Fusion. I even had to switch from Sharing my Internet connection to bridged networking to try this out. I'm lucky that I have a virtual copy of Windows. Not every Mac user has a copy.

So within that I was able to get the Internet Explorer plugin to not only find my Slingbox locally but also set it up for Internet viewing away from my Network.

When I rang Slingbox up today, the very nice and pleasant American suggested I plug my Slingbox in directly to my router, as it may be that my gigabit switch is causing a problem. I thought if that is the case then there must seriously be some buggy programming going on. A work colleague thought it an unnecessary step but has experience of jumping through hoops before companies actually deal with the real problem. Of course it didn't make any difference when I did plug it in directly. So it still suggests buggy programming on Slingbox's part for their Mac plugins.

So if you don't have a copy of Windows and/or are not technically minded, I don't recommend buying the Slingbox at this time. It is great once you get a connection set up but the problem is getting one set up and from my own experience, I found it was impossible to do a Mac without Windows. I am happy to be proven wrong of course.