Problems upgrading from tiger to leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ChuckSmith, Jan 24, 2008.

1. ChuckSmith macrumors newbie

I bought a leopard install disk a couple of days after leopard was released, unfortunately the computer store where I went was out of the retail boxes so I got a discounted "CPU Drop in DVD". I waited to install it for bug resolving sake.

Now I tried to install it and after selecting my which language I rather install it in, I am told that the disk is only an upgrade disk and requires Mac OS 10.4 (or later), which cannot be found on my hard drive. Yet, I'm currently using 10.4.11.

Could someone please tell me how to get my disk to recognize my OS or otherwise install Leopard?

2. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

I'm just wondering if perhaps it's machine specific somehow? Someone else should be able to shed some more light on this, I know that with the hard drive blank it won't let you do a clean install, you'd have to install Tiger first and then Leopard but I can't see that being a problem in your case.

3. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Exchange the drop-in disc for a retail copy of Leopard, and report the retailer to Apple.
    There is no such thing as a retail "upgrade" disk for Leopard, and these discs should not be sold retail, even at a discounted price.
    The discs are shipped with Tiger Macs as a free upgrade.

BTW, "Archive and Install" Leopard; do not use the (buggy) "upgrade" option.

4. ChuckSmith thread starter macrumors newbie

If I could I would report him but the store no longer exists as of Jan 7th :(

Is this disk usable or do i need another one? and isn't an archive and install a pain to put all the folders back? will i keep my software when I use this method? (I have a ton and i don't ant to re-install it all over again).

5. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Archive and Install is probably the only truly reliable way to install Leopard, while retaining the existing data on your drive.
    The default upgrade option is replete with problems and inherent flaws.

6. ChuckSmith thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats all and nice but the DVD doesn't allow me to do anything. After the "select language" screen it checks for Mac OS 10.4 (which is installed but it can't find) and doesn't allow me to continue any further. What I really need is to get the disk/computer to recognize that my drive is properly formated.

7. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

The disc is not a retail installer; it is only intended to upgrade the factory installation of Tiger on the machine it shipped with.

Try searching for a tutorial on converting the upgrade DVD to a retail DVD.
    The details of this process cannot be posted on this forum.
    GL

8. ChuckSmith thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I will do just that.

But before I upgrade, I want to know what is wrong with the upgrade install instead of archive and install?? and what is Archive and install anyways? where will my files be and what will I have access to? will i keep all my applications in the proper place or do I need to re-install it all?

I ned to know this because I want to be sure of my move before I actually install Leopard, Thanks!

9. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

You can find more information on the Archive and Install feature of the Mac OS X installer at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301270

An excerpt from the article:

10. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

With regard to Leopard, there are some well documented problems with upgrading from 10.3 and 10.4, specifically the user accounts and login passwords. They sometimes will not work after the upgrade, leaving you unable to login.
    The workarounds and solutions to this problem have a low success rate.

Do yourself a favor and choose Archive and Install.