Problems Upgrading- How to Back Up Texts Before Restoring Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lauren123, Sep 21, 2013.

1. lauren123 macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2013
    I tried to upgrade to iOS 7 on my iPhone 4s through iTunes but something went wrong and I got a message that said I needed to restore my phone. I immediately unplugged my phone from my laptop, but now I cannot even use my phone since it just displays a message of a white cord with an arrow pointing to the iTunes logo.

Is there any way I can save my text messages before I restore the phone? Luckily I have my pictures backed up, so I'm not worried about losing those, but I'd really like to be able to back up my text messages on my computer before my phone gets wiped clean.

I know there's some software programs that allow you to back up text messages, but will I be able to use them even though I can't get into the phone right now? Any recommendations?

Ideally, I'd like to go back to the way my phone was with all my data saved, but I don't know if that's possible.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks :)
  2. mightygitis macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2011
    Hampton Roads
    Did the phone not do a back up on the computer before it updated iOS?
  3. lauren123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2013
    It may have, although I'm not really sure, but would that also back up my texts? Are my texts saved anywhere on my computer?
  4. eastercat macrumors 68040

Mar 3, 2008
    Here's the more important question: did you do a backup before upgrading?
    Your texts are on your backup.
  5. Mr.C macrumors 601

Apr 3, 2011
    London, UK.
    When ever your phone is synced to iTunes it is backed up. You can also back up manually. All your texts up until the last time you synced or backed up manually will be in the backup file. Obviously any texts you received since won't be.
  6. lauren123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2013
    Thanks for the responses, I wasn't aware that the backup would save my texts as well. I restored the phone and got all my data back.