Problems upgrading to Leopard ...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jmmllr, May 28, 2008.

1. jmmllr macrumors newbie

I saw some similar posts, but none of them actually seemed to answer my specific question ...
    I am running a
    MacBook 2 GHz Intel Core Duo with 512 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
    (so not the newest computer on the lot ...)

The computer I am using is for my degree program which owns a liscencing copy of leopard for the use of its students. I had installed Leopard shortly after Christmas and it was running great. (BIIIIG fan of TimeMachine...)

Shortly after I returned to work, my computer crashed and I did not have access to the schools discs of Leopard so I retuned to Tiger. I finally got ahold of the schools disc and when I put it into my machine I got the "cannot be installed on this machine message."

I thought this was weird so I checked it on my roomates computer
    (Macbook Pro
    And the Leopard CD installed completely fine.

This led me to conclude that the CD must not be keyed to a specific computer, but maybe a specific computer type? ... and if so, it must have been a different disc that I used previously ... (the school does have multiple copies of Leopard I assume)

Can anyone help me figure out what is going on with Leopard? ANY help would be greatly appreciated ...

2. chscag macrumors 68000

I can't imagine your school who has a license for using Leopard would only have restore disks which are keyed to a specific computer model. They should have a copy of Leopard which can be installed on any Mac computer, in other words, the same as if you bought it from an Apple store.

As an example: My Leopard disks came with my MacBook when I purchased it and can only be used on this model to restore the operating system. If I had purchased a copy of Leopard from Apple I could use it on any Mac computer that it would install on.

Regards.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If it is the grey discs then it is only for a specific model of computer. The install discs should look like

Leopard_Disc.JPG

As for the Macbook 512mb RAM:eek:. You can get 1GB off of Newegg.com for $22. This will make a HUGE difference in you computers performance, 512MB is a major bottleneck that barely lets your CPU breath especially on an Intel Mac running Tiger or Leopard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Subcategory=551&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

I do not mean you will say "Well this is slightly better" rather "Jumpin' Jehoshaphat why in the He** did I not do this before!!".

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Agree with the RAM thing. Your machine can handle 2gb if I am not mistaken. Max that puppy out, it'll cost you less than 50 bucks and it'll be like having a whole new machine. I did it for my cousin's macbook which is about the same as yours, what a difference.

Anyways, it may be best to backup all of your important data, and do a fresh clean install of Leopard. I find clean installs always work better than upgrades anyways. Thats my $.02

5. jmmllr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. It was the Grey disc I was using. I will grab the other ones from school tomorrow.

I'll also check into the newegg site .. .thanks for the heads up ...