Problems upgrading VISTA from XP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hajime, Jun 24, 2008.

1. hajime macrumors 68040

Hello. I had Windows XP Professional SP2 installed on my MBP. Yesterday, I installed Vista Ultimate SP1 over XP. Then, I used the leopard DVD to install Bootcamp driver. It seems that only some of the drivers were installed but not the others. For example, audio works now but I don't see the boocamp control panel. Moreover, internet (both wired and wireless), brightness and volumn control, right-click button (two figures on touchpad and click) do not work. Could anybody please let me know how to fix the problems? While I installed Bootcamp, I got two message saying that "KeyAgent" and "MacHAL (MacHALDriver)" services cannot start. When Vista booted, I also got: "Unrecognized partition table for drive 80. Please rebuild it using a Microsoft compatible FDISK."

2. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

You installed Vista over XP. Sounds like XP's drivers are still there, which is causing problems. I've never done the upgrade from one OS to another, for fear of this very reason. The easiest thing to do is to backup and reformat. If you have a Vista upgrade disk, don't fear, you can still do a full format with it. I'll PM you the instructions if this is the case.

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but the problem sounds like XP's drivers are getting in the way. Doing in-place upgrades is something that MS has always had to work on. If you were going from 2000 to XP, it wouldn't be much of a problem, since they each use the same driver model, whereas Vista's driver model is updated, and for the most part, incompatible with XP's.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I think I reformatted the original XP partition before installing Vista over it. So, the XP's drivers should not be getting in the way.

4. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Exactly what procedure did you use to install Vista? Did you use Boot Camp Assistant to reformat the old XP partition or did you just put the Vista disc in and let it format the old XP partition for you (Clean Install).
    It seems as you did the former because the latter would have produced a clean install with no remnants of XP. With the former the BCA may not have reformatted it (BCA only partitions the disc and formats with FAT32 - it may have seen the XP partition and thought that it was okay to go) which would explain why you have the error messages because as the other poster said - there are old XP drivers still there.
    What I would do is go into OSX and completely remove the Windows partition (using Disk Utility). Run BCA assistant and partition the disc with a size that you see fit. Then install Vista. This should fix the problem.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

I did the clean install. I will try the procedure you described. Thanks.

6. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Let us know how you get on.

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

At last, I made it. Thanks for the help.