Problems using Airport Extreme and external hard drives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by haydnhoffman, Jan 1, 2011.

1. haydnhoffman macrumors newbie

I have two external hard drives connected to my airport extreme. The hard drives don't act like they would if they were connected directly to my macbook, though. For instance, I'm trying to use Carbon Copy Cloner to sync the two hard drives and they won't show up in the program. They also don't mount as they normally would and they don't show up in disk utility.

I'm using version 7.5.2... I think that is the latest version - I recently upgraded and I'm not sure if thats why I can't do the aforementioned things. I can't figure out how to use an older version though (reinstalled the software that came with the airport extreme but that didn't work).

Thanks

2. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Did the drives do what you wanted before you updated? Also when you plug it into your Mac does is show up? You may want to make sure it is formatted in a way that is utilized by Mac OS. Also I am not sure if the mentioned programs work through APE. Good luck.

3. haydnhoffman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it works fine when I plug them in directly to my laptop and they are formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Something definitely changed after the upgrade because they stopped mounting automatically. I wish I could get back to an earlier version but for some reason reinstalling didn't accomplish that.

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I was under the impression that CCC did not work on network attached drives. I just went to their website and found the following:

I would recommend that if you want to perform CCC operations on those drives, that you should direct connect them. Then you can connect them to the Airport Extreme and use them as network attached devices.

As far as the drives not loading... can you see them in the "Shared" section of finder? Are you connected with your username or as "guest"?

/Jim

5. jmk229 macrumors member

I have an attached harddrive to my router I see it in my shared devices When I try to login in with it as my username or guest it says there are no shares available. When I plug in directly I have no problems....
    I am not understanding what is happening.

6. Auszero macrumors member

The newest update to the airport extreme firmware is problematic. I have seen numerous posts as well as experienced first hand issues with remote storage and the airport extremes since the update. I read they have since pulled the update. If you go into manual settings via the airport utility you should be able to downgrade to 7.5.1 or before.