Problems using HDD with Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jim1231, Aug 5, 2010.

1. jim1231 macrumors newbie

Hi I recently purchased a airport extreme to take the place of my express.
    I have i 500GB WD My Passport that i use for backing up, movies and TV series. I decided to connect the HDD to my Airport to eliminate the need of manually connecting it to my Imac(intel) and MacBook Air worked fine until i decided i need to use it with my MacBook air via USB. It wont show up in devices only Disk Utility Airtport has seemed to change format from Mac OSX(journaled) to Fat and now it work even let me erase the HDD. Any suggestions?
    Cheers.

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I don't believe the USB port is compatible with hdds. Only printers.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you read the OP he/she IS using an Extreme.

OP: simply disconnecting a drive from an Extreme and directly connecting it will not alter the format. Changing the format of a drive is a conscious decision. The computer would have asked to initialize or format the drive.

4. jim1231 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, however for some reason when i connected my HDD to my iMac this morning it was working perfectly fine. I am confused i don't recall changing the format from Mac OSX(journal)

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

to change the format, you have to erase the drive, and start over, so you would know if you did.

have you tried cycling power on the extreme with the drive plugged in?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The confusion is due to the fact that the OP said "Problems using HDD with Airport Express" in the thread title.