Problems using iPhone on new computer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by karansaraf, Jul 26, 2011.

1. karansaraf macrumors regular

I've had an iPhone 4 for a year now. Used it on the same laptop.

I recently bought a MBP and when I connected my iPhone to it, it doesn't let me do anything to it.

It's basically acting as if this laptop is not the "main" laptop.

I can't edit or delete playlists, none of the apps from my iPhone have been put into iTunes etc etc.

How can I set it up so that this MBP becomes the main laptop for my iPhone so I can sync, edit, add apps etc.?

2. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

Did you use migration assistant to transfer to the new laptop?

3. karansaraf thread starter macrumors regular

No I didn't. Did everything manually. The old laptop is now with my mum in another city so I don't think I can even do that now. Not for at least a month anyway.

4. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

hmm... maybe someone else could help. I used migration assistant and it worked flawlessly. Perhaps the file for "ownership" of the phone is not in the iTunes folder.

5. sbddude macrumors 6502a

is your itunes library copied over? is it seen by itunes? If not, you can hold option/shift (forget which) while starting itunes and point it to the correct library.

Then once the library is there, do the following. Connect your iphone, right clikc on it in the left column, then transfer purchases, and backup.

Finally, go to each of the tabs (apps, music, etc) and turn on sync. It will tell you that in order to sync you will need to erase the existing songs, but that's ok since you have them all in your library. I suggest using "manually manage music" as it can avoid this problem in the future.

6. karansaraf thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect. Thanks a lot!

The "transfer purchases" was exactly what I was looking for.

7. circusbass macrumors regular

Does this also apply when trying to go from Mac to PC? I have an old PowerBook that I sync my iPhone on and I wanted to move it to the new PC i just built.