Problems using iTunes movies on 2nd display-Sony Bravia

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SteinMaster, Dec 31, 2009.

1. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I posted this on the iTunes section and did not get solutions for my problem. I hooked-up my MacBook Pro to my Sony Bravia HDTV to watch iTune movies and use my computer at the same time (non-mirrored in monitor preferences). iTunes movies play on my HDTV when they are not maximized in iTunes. When I maximize the movie, it reverts back to my MacBook screen and the HDTV screen goes blank. I reviewed all my display preferences and cannot find any options to fix this.

Another question, will HD iTunes movies display properly on a 52" HDTV screen at 1080p? It seems that some of the movies I have played so far seem grainy and jerky at minimized screen (since I can't maximize it). Basically, I want to match the quality of a HD movie DVD. Any experiences with this or am I wasting my time? Shouldn't using a MacBook Pro be like using AppleTV with regard to video quality?

MacBookPro 2.53ghz; 4gb RAM

Thanks!

2. iVoid macrumors 65816

When you maximize the window is it on the HDTV dispaly or the macbook display? Many apps (Quicktime X and iTunes (I believe)) will maximize on the screen the window is currently on.

Properly written apps (QT 7x, VLC) have a preference setting to choose the full screen device.

3. SteinMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I dragged the iTunes window to the HDTV screen, played the movie, and then maximized it (on the HDTV screen). After I maximized it, the HDTV screen went blank and the movie was playing on my MacBook.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Go into the display settings and mirror the display to the Sony TV.

5. SteinMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

If I do that, will I be able to use the computer while I watch the movie? I did this and it worked, but I wanted to use my computer while the movie was playing on the HDTV. I wasn't able to do both while movie was maximized. Maybe I can't do both???? I guess I could expand the iTunes app window (without watching fullscreen) and try not to focus on the iTunes menu bars.