problems using P2P on shared T1 connection

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yannisguut, Aug 28, 2007.

1. yannisguut macrumors newbie

OK, so where I live now, the community has a shared T1 connection, but when I try to open a P2P such as azures aka vuze, its slows my speed down to maybe a max of 15kbps, how can I stop it from slowing down my speed, and what can I do to allow myself to have faster download and upload speeds? the amount of money I pay a month is not worth how slow my internet is at this place, and i'm not able to get any other service provider here. any help would be great. i just downlaoded transmission, so i will see if i can get anywhere on there

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Hello :)

Does your whole net connection slow down, or is it just the P2P transfers that are slow?

There may be some sort of traffic shaping on the connection that throttles the maximum speed data-hungry apps like P2P can run at in order to ensure things like browsing and email stay fast for everyone. Otherwise just a couple of P2P users could saturate the link and bring everyone to a standstill.

Traffic shaping is usually not controllable by you. In order to get better speeds you'd likely need to use a different provider.

3. yannisguut thread starter macrumors newbie

My whole net connection is slow. It's even slow now and I'm not using a p2p. It's like they only allow people a certain amount of speed per person, I went to speedtest.net and my ping is like 300 something and my dl rate is 11 maybe and i didnt even wait for it to tell me about uploads. Is there something i can do on the http://192.168.1.1 site? I just bought a new wireless router, linksys WRT54G.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You say you have a "community" sharing this T1. A T1 isn't very fast these days (1.5Mbps is nothing), especially shared between a number of people/systems :confused:

Perhaps others in this community of yours are already running P2P apps and sucking your already fairly minimal bandwidth down the drain?