problems viewing a dreamweaver designed site in internet explorer

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by richardedalton, Jan 14, 2009.

1. richardedalton macrumors newbie

Hi

I have created a site using dreamweaver but it is not viewing right when viewed with internet explorer! Can anyone help me with this,I think there is a problem with the code, can some one take a look at the code and help me with a fix??

please bear in mind i am a designer and this is my first website,html is my weakness that why i use dreamweaver.
    any help is much appreciated,
    the website is

http//www.energycerts.biz

Thanks

[Moderator note: duplicate threads were merged.]

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There's a number of validation issues, some small, but others are more of a problem, like tags not being where they are aloud. Such as using td tags, but no table tag, that's simply nonsense. So you need to work over the HTML structure essentially and make it valid, then see where that gets you.

3. brisbaneguy29 macrumors 6502

brisbaneguy29

The code looks a mess. Did dreamweaver really produce all the code? Or is some pasted in? There are <td> and <tr> tags without enclosing <table> tags, I can also see near the bottom you close the body tags, insert more styles, close the head tag for the second time, even though it wasn't opened again, add a second body tag, but then don't close this.

This is a real mess, I am not surprised IE is having issues. I can see Safari and Firefox on the MAC seem ok, but I am not at all surprised IE says NO!

4. richardedalton thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks angel watt, will start working on the code,:)
    Internet explorer bites the big one!:apple:

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

This forum, as a whole, has all kinds of explanations as to why MSIE renders differently, but in a nutshell (so as not to repeat ourselves ad nausem) MSIE doesn't follow standards as precisely as other browsers - although in version 8 final release we might see improvement. In your case it's most likely CSS issues (not errors) based on your XHTML transitional code and extensive styling and div's. However, there is also tabular layout involved and my advice is to replace those tables with div's and learn how to work with div's for floating and alignment.

But a simple W3C HTML validation test revealed about 23 errors, so before you fix anything, fix those. Your CSS is valid, so job well done, there. Then replace the tablular with div's. Then start working on your CSS - it's not our job here to fix your entire site, i.e. re-write your CSS, so first we advise you learn about MSIE quirks and CSS at sites like this one. It lists common symptoms and fixes. Then re-validate the site until no errors, and if still minor issues in formatting, post only those here. We will help you with small fixes here and there, no problem.

That's my .02

If others want to offer specific advice on specific problems on the page, go for it, but this reply is intended to educate the OP and help them solve their own problems so they don't need to keep coming here for help although we always welcome them with open arms.

-jim

6. DaReal_Dionysus macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

What version of IE do you have. IE 6 doesn't support CSS properly so that could be one problem. If 7 make sure you do what the last guy says.

7. thesoundman20 macrumors newbie

newbie 2 the forum, should i start a new thread?:

im having almost an identical problem, i did not originally create the site it was handed to me to manage. also the site was created in publisher originally and then uploaded to an ftp server. i know. but anway thats what i have to deal with. im using dreamweaver to change/edit the site. i am also fairly new to html, dont know hardly anything about css, and im having trouble with internet explorer. the site loads perfectly fine in firefox or safari, but when loaded in internet explorer its almost a different site, it will load different pictures and wont load text fixes, but loads some other changes (like background color edits). it will load some changes but not others. i know its a coding problem, the code looks like a toddler wrote it, but i dont know enough about code to be able to just fix it, i can tell when it has problems, i can mostly read it, but not write it. all im asking is to point me in the right direction, i want to learn, so then maybe i can give advise to newbies like me one day. im willing to learn i just need someone to point me in the right direction. in other words PLEASE HELP!

my site is www.flbaptistdisaster.org