Problems viewing Quicktime .mov files

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Akaoni, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Akaoni macrumors newbie

I transferred several QT .mov files from a colleague's Macbook Pro in order to edit them in Final Cut, but I am unable to view the files. I hear the audio, but can only see a black screen.

I have a Macbook with the same configuration as my colleague (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo), and we both have Quicktime 7.6.2, so we're both baffled as to why the footage plays on his laptop and not mine.

At one point I received an error message ("Additional software is required for Quicktime to playback this media. It may be available from the Quicktime Components page." This takes me to a Quicktime page with a bunch of plug-ins, but there is no indication which, if any, of these I need to install.

I've visited a bunch of online discussions about this topic, but they all indicate I need some sort of codec. Most of the discussions say DivX will do it, but after installing it, I still experience the same problem.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As your colleague edited in FCP, the exported video might still use a codec that is only readable when FCP is installed.

So ask your colleague if he can export you a version in .h264 or something that is FCP independent.

You can also view the QT file properties, by opening the movie and then open the Movie Inspector (CMD+I) and see what kind of codec was used, like AIC or something similar.

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

the OP is planning to edit using FCP, so it should have the correct codecs. are you opening these files with the same computer that you'll be editing with?

don't use h.264 for editing.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Sorry, yes I should have seen that. I'm slightly out of shape, returning to the aggressive big city.

And yes to no editing with .h264.

Do you have the same FCP version as your colleague does?

5. Akaoni thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Hack that I am, I was using a version of FCP for Power PC, while my colleague and I both have Intel processors. I had previously been using FCP on a G5 Power PC that croaked, and just transferred the software over without considering the processor. All in all, FCP still works on my current Macbook, but it doesn't like to read Quicktime files that are generated by HD footage. The clue was looking in the Quicktime Library and seeing that I lacked numerous codecs that my colleague has.

Thanks again!

6. Berinand macrumors newbie

What is the solution?

I have the same problem. I have reinstalled FCP but the problem remains. Where do you get the missing codecs? I have Premiere CS4 as well and the same there. When I try to open the file in QT player 7.6.2, it says codec is missing.

Please help.

7. Akaoni thread starter macrumors newbie

QT codecs

I can't recall where I found the codecs online (another forum that I didn't bookmark), so I can't direct you to the site. But if you give me your email address I'll be glad to send you the zip file that I downloaded.

I haven't tried sending personal messages to other members of this site, but I imagine there's a way to do that, if you prefer to send me your email address privately.

8. Berinand macrumors newbie

9. Berinand macrumors newbie

Problem solved.

No need Akaoni, got it at last. The AppleHDVCodec.component was for Power PC. Replaced it with intel based codec.