Problems w/ WD 1TB Black RAID 0?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dnadrifter, May 25, 2009.

1. dnadrifter macrumors member

Curious who is using WD 1TB Black hard drives in a RAID 0 configuration and if you have had any problems.

I was planning on purchasing at least two of these to be used in a RAID 0 configuration with one stripe for cache and the other for data in the mac pro I will be purchasing soon. I was also planning on eventually using two in RAID configuration in a external dual box from OWC for backup.

However, in doing some research I found the following info that WD apparently gave to someone saying that they aren't intended for RAID and may not function propery because of them going into a deep recovery mode? Would this problem mainly be mainly for a raid hardware controller and not software like I would be doing with the mac pro?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1401518

Any experience would be appreciated. My guess is that I will be fine...but just wanted to make sure.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

WD's RE3 line are meant for RAID (enterprise drives). It's a good idea to use these with a RAID controller, and almost a necessity if it's a SAS model.

If you intend to use software RAID, the Caviar Blacks should be fine, and not require anything. So no need to panic. :D Error recovery is performed by the logic board and operating system. This also applies to Fake RAID (HDD chip on a card + drivers, and firmware if it supports booting the OS). Some eSATA cards are capable of this.

RAID cards are another story, as they take over this function. Hence the different default TLER settings of 0s,0s for enterprise drives, vs. 0s,7s on their consumer counterparts (time-out; read, write in seconds).

WD has a utility available that allows these values to be changed (set in firmware). This can allow you to use consumer drives on a true RAID controller on occassion, but it's not a guarantee. (It's been rather handy with using the Green Power models in RAID).

If you're going with a hardware implementation, check the manufacturer's Compatibility Lists before buying any drives. It can save you massive headaches. ;) :D

It's rather basic, as I'd need more specifics before I can go any further.

Hope this helps. :)

3. dnadrifter thread starter macrumors member

It definitely did...thanks so much for the information. I am planning on going with software RAID.

I assume that the external raid enclosures that OWC sells would still be software RAID, even though there is a chipset in the enclosure?...I feel completely knowledgeable about this subject. I am planning on doing everything through the OS, but I have never done it, so it will be a learning experience I guess. Probably will just call OWC to be sure.

Now I need still need to decide between the WD black and the new Seagate 7200.12....

Thanks again for the help....it makes me feel better about the blacks.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm not sure about the enclosure, as I don't know the actual model, but it's very likely. Particularly for the small 2 drive models. (The additition of a chip is what would require additional information/research to make sure).

Glad the information did help. :)