Problems when burning .avi to DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by J Boss, Feb 26, 2009.

1. J Boss macrumors newbie

OK, so first of all I'd like to admit that I'm a completely new Mac user.

I'm having some problems with burning avi's to DVD. I have all the codecs and the files play in Quicktime. I'm trying to burn them using iDVD and all the previews work just fine, it burns easily, but then when I stick the finished DVD back into the drive on my Macbook the video just comes up as a blank green screen.

Am I doing something wrong or should I perhaps try using Toast or something?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, I'd give Toast a try. If you're trying to play in your DVD player, you might want to check if it supports DivX/Xvid/H.264 playback, which would save you a bunch of work.

3. Hestian macrumors newbie

HI,

I use the program BURN from Sourceforge--I have used this program for 4 months now to burn avi formatted files on to both R & RW DVD's.---Toast works great but I found it a little too complicated for what I needed. Each 700mb takes approximately 2 minutes and 30 seconds each with BURN---I can get up to 6 files at 700mb each on 1 dvd--Hope this helps

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

As I mentioned, that requires a player that supports data disks.

5. J Boss thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'll give Toast a try. But as I said the DVD won't even playback when I try to play it on my Macbook.

I've burned avi's to DVD before on my old Windows PC and they played just fine in both my DVD player and my PS3, so I assume there should be no problem in that regard.

6. JoMomma macrumors newbie

I apologize if you tried this already. It sounds like a stupid answer, but it evaded me for quite a while.

When I got the green screen, I clicked on "view" and selected "fit to screen." That gave me the play, pause, etc. controls, and I was able to view the video.

Jo