Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n8d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Okay, I am at wits end, and its probably an easy fix that I am just not aware of how to do.

I have a MBP 15" which I have connected to a 24" Apple Display (one of the older ones that has the "white frame" around it).

It's connected to the Apple Display using a DVI to ADC Adapter.

The issue I am having is that when I pull up something such as Final Cut or Firefox, if something needs to "Expand" meaning that I have a scroll bar at the bottom, I CAN NOT scroll to the left at all.

I can move the mouse over there, but as soon as I left off of the click, it moves it immediately back to the right (this is happening in Final Cut, FireFox, Safari, etc).

When using FireFox, if there is a "drop down box", whenver I click on it, I can see the text entries there, but they keep "flashing" and I can't scroll down and click on any of them. It seems to work fine though in Safari.

I am going to attempt to attach a picture of the "no left scroll" to give you an idea.

Anyone ran into this before? Is there a fix? I tried Insomniac thinking that would help, but nope...I called Apple and they were confused as well. They had me reset the P-RAM and I could then scroll left again...However as soon as I hooked it up to the monitor, it went back to the old ways...

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Picture 19.png
    Picture 19.png
    76 KB · Views: 57

n8d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Yep...even if I disconnect the Mac from the monitor and reboot it, I have the same issues.

Apple had me remove the battery and do the Ctrl+Option+P+R and that fixed it again when I tried it.

They also had me go to Disk Utility and verify the hard drive, however, there were some issues that popped up. (said something ab out an error).

They told me to reboot the computer with the Leopard Disk in (i am assuming disk #1?) and hold C and go through the repair on there. Kinda nervous though...:eek:

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
For the repair? Meh, don't be. I can't think of anything that has a horizontal scroll bar in the installer, so it'd be hard to test it out in there. Probably a software problem, though. Do you have any other monitors to try out, by chance?

Yes, disk 1. Disk 2 isn't bootable.

n8d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Other monitors yes, but none that I have adapters for. =-(

Okay...Imma do a boot from Disk...Wish me luck! Hopefully I will be back soon posting again from the mac and not from my POS work Dell.

n8d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
I'm baaackk....

Same result. :mad:

Hrm....will try to play with a few more things and see if I can figure out what the heck is going on...My guess is something like the stupid monitor isn't compatible or something like that.

Will update the more that I try and figure it out for anyone who may be unfortunate enough to have this happen to them in the future!

Thanks for the help so far!

n8d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Ok. So went to my favorite local hotel bar to get a drink because technology hates me today (also had TWO windows pc crash over the weekend too).

Flipped open the mac (didn't shut it down from there to here), opened final cut, and low and behold I can scroll now.

So frustrating. The reason I finally went out and bought the adapter was for more screen real estate.

Do you think the adapter could be causing it or the computer itself?

I'm stumped and would like to keep from lugging that big ass screen into the Apple store.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
You may be the only person that has even run Final Cut Pro in that bar. :D

Honestly, I don't see how the problem could be with anything other than your computer. Try running an archive & install from the computer's restore disks. Or is that what you already did?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.