Problems wireless Printing w/my new MBP. Need some help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BaronvdB, Jun 27, 2009.

1. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

hi guys,

I have my HP photo smart printer plugged into my time capsule. I never had any issues printing with my last laptop (MBA) but i just got a new 13" MBP and can't print. MBP sees the printer on my time capsule via Bonjour, but when I try to add it to my printers i get a dialog box that says:

"type the name and password of a user in teh "_Ipadmin" group to allow AddPrinter to make changes."

I have no idea what the "_Ipadmin" group is and i've tried all my normal user names & passwords but it tells me they are all wrong.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. DonMarkuso macrumors newbie

Same problem

I have the same problem with a new 15"MBP 2.66GHZ connected via Ethernet! I would appreciate a hint... Is there something wrong with CUPS? Network?

I suspect that the reason could be the migration form my old MBP to the new one via the migration assistent. I have migrated document & programs...

Can anyone please help??

Thanks, Markus

3. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

it is an issue related to migration assistant

type this into terminal and replace shortname with your shortname obviously

sudo dseditgroup -o edit -n . -u shortname -p -a shortname -t user _lpadmin

type in your admin password and then return and you should be able to add the printer

*edit: in your post i see you put Ipadmin.. make sure when typing in the terminal command you spell it correctly, as it is a lower case L in lpadmin

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I have experience with my HP printers a driver update nightmare always there is a Mac OSX update.
    Check HP support website in case you haven't done that yet, or run an apple software update.

5. Marx55 macrumors 65816

Wow! It worked here with Mac OS X 10.5.8 after such issue with the Xerox Docuprint N2125 Network Laser Printer - PostScript level 3

THANKS A MILLION. YOU MADE MY DAY!!!