Problems with 10.5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by trainguy77, Nov 25, 2007.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Thing have been getting unstable when my system sits idle for awhile it will just freeze playing 1 second of sound over and over again. In disk utilities i get this:

Attached Files:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The SUID warnings are standard and nothing to worry about...everybody gets those when repairing permissions under Leopard.

Can you give more details about what's going on when you experience the freezes? What apps do you have open?

3. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

Well i will come back to my system after leaving it to go to screen saver. It will be frozen in the screen saver. Normally playing a sound over and over again. If i had music going when i left it, it will be about 1 second of music looping. Sometimes it will be the adium logout sound over and over again. I have to hold down the power button to stop it. At which point i can't just restart as it will not turn the monitors back on just leave the fans going %100. So i then turn it off wait a couple seconds then power on, and its fine then. Everytime i have tried to play Age of empires 3 it has died as well after awhile of playing both monitors will die. Sometimes music keeps going sometimes it will start looping. At which point i need to hold down the power button to stop it. No sign in any of the logs relating to what is happening. It was a clean install of leopard. I also had the freeze happen once while working at the desktop with the visualizer going on the 2nd display for itunes, and also running the quartz composer on my main display with a visualizer running in that as well.

4. mopppish macrumors 6502

Hiya.
    I just erase and installed Leopard today and got those exact same permissions repair messages.
    Haven't used it much yet, but everything seems OK so far.

5. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

File permissions have nothing to do with it (the advice to repair file permissions seems to be the Mac equivalent of "defrag disk, run anti-virus scan" in windows).

Ever since upgrading to Leopard, I have experienced intermittent system freeze-ups on my Mac Pro (I never had a single one under Tiger). These happen usually while running an iTunes visualizer, screen saver, or playing a dvd. This implicates either the graphics hardware (I have the ATI X1900XT) upon which Leopard makes more demands or the (ATI) graphics drivers in Leopard.

Freeze-ups are a known problem in the new iMacs with ATI cards. Most Mac Pro owners I've heard from who have experienced this also are running the X1900.

6. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

Why don't you update to 10.5.1?
    Are you sure all your applications are Leopard compatible? Adium and others, if you have iWOW installed in iTunes make sure is the latest...

Cheers

7. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

I have upgraded to 10.5.1 i just didn't mention it sorry. So I guess i am not alone. The freeze ups seem to have to do with more demanding graphics. I too was fine with tiger. I have x1900 as well. I even get it when i leave the machine and set the monitors to go to sleep(in hope the screen saver won't freeze it. However, i still have freezes. This means its not an overheating problem....As the displays are asleep. So the graphics card shouldn't need to do anything. It could be an applications....but i have alot running so i have no clue which one....Its all standard os x apps short of adium and some utilities that run in my menu bar.

8. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

I am not doing a clean install....its been like this since i installed leopard. However, i think i may have found a solution. I had smcFancontrol and hardware monitor running before.I quit both those applications and i haven't had a freeze up yet. Its worth a shot.

9. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

I've had 3 freeze-ups in the last 24 hours. These times iTunes kept playing the song but my desktop was frozen: no mouse no keyboard nothing. Now I suspect that it has something to do with the screen saver, since the desktop will lock up if I leave it alone for 5 minutes (enough time for the screen saver to fire...or not fire and lock up the system instead).

Last time it happened, I was in the middle of tarring up some folders before I do a complete clean install of Leopard. Now I have to start that over too. Let's hope a clean install sorts things out.