Problems with 10.6.2 after Safari Update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dumb terminal, Mar 11, 2010.

1. dumb terminal macrumors member

dumb terminal

I ran Software Update to install the update to Safari (4.0.5), and after it installed, it went into the portion where it needs to restart the computer. Where it installs after the OS shuts down, the update FAILED, and the computer restarted. After restart, Safari and Mail will NOT open, they go straight to the crash report prompt. Airport is connected, but opening Chrome will not get online.

I'm led to believe the update corrupted something, because everything errors out, and I can't get anything done.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem, or know what the fix is? I really don't want to reinstall the OS (I don't have a backup), but I'm at wits end.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Did you try re-running Software Update? Also, you can try downloading the 10.6.2 update from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL959 with another computer, transfer it to yours and re-update the OS, as that should fix any corrupted files.

By downloading the Combo update I listed, that should remove the issue of the other computer having a different configuration and leading to a different update package to be downloaded. The Combo update covers everything and can be applied from 10.6.0 as opposed to the delta update which requires 10.6.1 to be present.

If that doesn't work, get yourself an external hard disk drive, backup all your personal files and programs and then reinstall the OS from your original DVDs.

3. mrwashi macrumors newbie

I haven't had any problems like this.

I'm using Safari right now and its running fine.

4. dumb terminal thread starter macrumors member

dumb terminal

I ran Disk Utility, repaired permissions, now I can at least get on the internet (posting this from Chrome), but Safari still refuses to open.

Looks like the HD might be corrupt; here's the error I get when I try to repair the disk:

[​IMG]

5. dumb terminal thread starter macrumors member

dumb terminal

recap

So...I booted from my SL disc, tried to do a disk repair via disk utility, failed. The drive is indeed corrupted.

I was able to fix it, but I had to use Diskwarrior to do it. One tool that no Mac user should be without, imho.