Problems with 2012 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by warghh, Jun 26, 2012.

1. warghh macrumors newbie

I have the 2012 13" MBP with i7, 8GB RAM, and 750 HDD.

Should I be worried I'm getting the rainbow ball of doom opening iPhoto? It's also frozen up twice asking me to restart twice in 6 days already. I wasn't even using intensive applications, just 2 Word documents, iTunes, Mail, MSN, and a few tabs of Chrome.

2. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Chrome is well known to cause issues with these new machines.

3. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

How big of an iPhoto Library do you have?

Pending on what are loaded in the Tabs in Chrome it can eat up a lot of resources.

4. warghh thread starter macrumors newbie

iPhoto library is probably around 40GB.

Not sure if placebo effect, but not having Chrome open seems to have made it open without rainbow circle of doom.

Chrome didn't have anything taxing - facebook, macrumors, google

I started using Safari, but ran into problems there because my address bar and search bar have both disappeared. Even on restarting. :|

5. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Next time open up Activity Monitor and see how much resources it's actually using. Process of elimination is really all you can do.

6. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

View -> Customize Toolbar

7. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

You might want to consider a clean re-install. Then, if you still have issues, take it to the Apple Store. Probably a logic board issue at that point.

Tuck

----------

Especially if it's been telling you to restart - That's known as a "kernel panic" and is not a good sign. Could be you have a faulty machine. My sister got a dud a couple of months ago on the last MacBook Pro version. They switch out the logic board and it's typically good to go.

8. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

In my personal experience (10,000+ serviced machines) more often than not a kernel panic is caused by software, not hardware.

9. warghh thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so having stopped using Chrome, I haven't had any notable problems until today.

Not sure if its strange that I'm getting rainbow balls of doom whilst copying and pasting photos from preview into powerpoint, but I am. I thought rainbow balls of doom weren't supposed to pop up as much as it does for me.

But also, later, I had opened iMovie, and it said that it had to load preview images, so I said yes. When it was done, the mac froze. It froze in place for at least 2 minutes, then I just force shut it down by holding the power button. At the time, the mac was insanely hot, so I suspect it was overheating. I was using it with an external monitor and the mac was sitting in clamshell mode on the table. The only intensive application open was iMovie. Other things open were Safari, Mail, iCal, iTunes, Word, Messages, and MSN.

So anyway, after the forced shut down, I turned it back on, and it was still frozen. It sat there for about 3 minutes and I couldn't move the mouse at all. So I force shut downed it again and let it cool down for about 10 minutes. Upon turning it back on it, it organised everything really slowly and I exited most applications.

I'm pretty sure these things aren't supposed to happen. My old Dell could run all of the runnning application equivalents and still work fine with video editting software. >=(

So what do you think I should do?

10. igiboi macrumors member

ehh, i used to use my 13" in clamshell mode.. but im to anal about heat, i placed it in a cooler and had a fan pointing at it.

i had 2 motherboards broken before due to heat issues, it was both a dell.