Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sirisy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2015
Brazil
Hi everyone

I bought a macbook pro 2016 (model with radeon pro 455) and I can not make it work with three dells up2414q (MST display) @ 4k 60hz ...

What I have achieved so far was the following:
2x @ 4k 60hz connecting each of one side of the notebook
1x @ 60hz and the other 2 @ 30hz (connecting the 60hz on one side, and the other two on the other side)
3x @ 30hz

Apparently, with MST monitors, it is only possible to use 60Hz one on each side (making the other port "dead" for another display).

Does anyone know of any limitations about use of MST displays on macbook pro 2016? On the Apple website says my macbook pro would support up to 4 monitors 4k @ 60hz, without specifying anything about MST monitor (some limitation, for example)

tks

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
This is curious. Apple hasn't explained the current limits of the various ways to drive monitors from the new MBP, as you say, so people are finding out by trial and error. I've heard of someone driving three of the new LG displays Apple's selling at 60Hz.

Some of the limits appear to be software based. For example, DisplayPort daisy-chaining works in Boot Camp with Windows, but not in Mac OS, if I recall right.

Are you using HDMI or DisplayPort?

Have you called Apple about this? Somewhere there's an Apple engineer who knows all about this.

sirisy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2015
Brazil
Are you using HDMI or DisplayPort?

Have you called Apple about this? Somewhere there's an Apple engineer who knows all about this.

hi,

I am using displayport (the up2414q does not support 60hz via hdmi).

I'm talking about that with twitter profile from Apple support and I tried to talk to Apple support here in Brazil, but the service is very bad. I'll try with them a few more times.

Reactions: Sanpete
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.