Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DFA1979

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2005
i want to open a .dmg file but it starts opening it and verifying it it wont continue to open. this message appears "the following disk images failed to mount" the reason it gives is " invalid checksum" how would i fix this?

Quartz Extreme

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2005
USA
DFA1979 said:
i want to open a .dmg file but it starts opening it and verifying it it wont continue to open. this message appears "the following disk images failed to mount" the reason it gives is " invalid checksum" how would i fix this?

At the beginning of a disk image file is the sum of all the bits in that file. The program will then checksum to see if the sum is what is really in the image. If it is off, it reports "invalid checksum"

If you downloaded it from a website, it likely was corrupted during download, and I would suggest trying to download it again. If you downloaded it from a peer to peer network, the file may be a fake.

DFA1979

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2005
Quartz Extreme said:
At the beginning of a disk image file is the sum of all the bits in that file. The program will then checksum to see if the sum is what is really in the image. If it is off, it reports "invalid checksum"

If you downloaded it from a website, it likely was corrupted during download, and I would suggest trying to download it again. If you downloaded it from a peer to peer network, the file may be a fake.

thx man

untamedhysteria

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2005
the whole point with checksum is to make sure it's actually the file you downloaded...and isn't being corrupted or something being added to it before it gets to your computer....why would you possibly want to disable checksum?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.