Problems with Acrobat Reader/Pro & Preview Corrupting Text on Copy/Paste

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GLOC, Nov 9, 2011.

1. GLOC macrumors member

I have a problem which I am not sure where it sits, so I am posting here and also the Adobe support forums as I think it might be deeper than just Reader/Pro.

I do a fair amount of research and download plenty of research papers. One such paper (Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine - DHM) from the South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society (SPUM) is causing me a major problem with copying and pasting text from it; no-one else who I have spoken to has the same problem.

The issue is that when I copy and paste text from the article I end up with the following
    and when I copy and paste the same from Preview, I get
    Any ideas what might be causing this issue? I have tried uninstalling Pro and Reader and have downloaded the latest version of Reader from the Adobe site and the issue still remains.

Thanks very much for any help you can give me

Regards

2. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

It seems like a document version incompatibility. I don't believe Preview supports the very latest version of the PDF format.
    If you have the original document, open a copy in Acrobat and export it in an older version of PDF. Then try again...

Or the document may be locked against Copy/Paste.

3. GLOC thread starter macrumors member

AI,

Thanks for the prompt post.

I will need to reinstall Acrobat and see if that works, but I found this thread http://forums.adobe.com/message/3978401 which says it probably has something to do with the document creation. I find this a little weird as other people can copy and paste from the same document.

I have had a look and content copy and page extraction are both allowed so security isn't an issue :(.

Acrobat Distiller 8.1.0 (Windows) was used to create the file and is a PDF Version 1.4 (Adobe 5.x)

I am on Lion 10.7.2

Regards