Problems with addressbook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jennygamonet, Jun 26, 2007.

1. jennygamonet macrumors newbie

My Mac address book opens as a single-silver-cell table with no information, none at all. I've also deleted the icon from the task bar and tried launching it from the applications folder, but I get the same response.

When I open up Mail and click on the address book while composing a message, I can see the entries.

I've been reading the forum and tried everything posible, including reinstalling the application and nothing.

I run a PPC G5. 10.4.10

Please help

Jenny

Attached Files:

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Try deleting the preferences file and relaunching the application.

The preference file, com.apple.AddressBook.plist, should be located in your Library:preferences folder.

3. jennygamonet thread starter macrumors newbie

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you tried opening it in another user account? Do you have any third party system hacks, theme changers or Address Book add-ons installed? :)

5. jennygamonet thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm the only user. I don't have any thrid-party system hacks, theme changes nor address book add-ons:confused:

6. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Wow that's weird. Do you get the expected menu items in the task bar at the top of your screen? :)apple: Address Book File Edit View Card Window Help) Maybe try the different View options to see if anything changes.

7. jennygamonet thread starter macrumors newbie

I just created another account and still dosen't work.

8. jennygamonet thread starter macrumors newbie

9. jennygamonet thread starter macrumors newbie

This problem stated to happen when I had to re install the operating system. Perhaps all files and directory structures got corrupted? What kinds of files am I suppose to have under user/Libray?

Sorry to bother everyone with this:confused:

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

What? mj didn't suggest that you Repair Permissions via Disk Utility? You might want to try that, although I'm not certain how effective it might be.

11. jennygamonet thread starter macrumors newbie

12. jennygamonet thread starter macrumors newbie

Address Book

Does anyone know all the files related to Addres Book and where they all should be?

Thanks

Jenny:)

13. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

14. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Did you do an archive and install when you reinstalled the OS or did you try and install an older version of OS X over the top of the one you already had?

15. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Chances are that if this one application is somehow corrupted, others will be too. You just haven't noticed them yet. Time to cut your losses. Back-up your home directory (photos, music, etc.) and then wipe your drive and do a clean install, NOT an archive-and-install. Then download the 10.4.10 combo updater and run it, to make your Mac freshly up-to-date. Then re-import all your photos and music using iPhoto and iTunes -- drag & drop, not thru the Finder! This way you're guaranteed to get everything set-up just right. Short-term pain for long-term gain.

I've seen a few posts lately where people insist on mucking-up the "default" OSX settings, directories, and file structures. Why do people want to do this??? I've got a 2003 iBook G4 that has performed absolutely flawlessly since day one. Then again, I never touch what I'm not supposed to.....

16. jennygamonet thread starter macrumors newbie

THANK YOU. I got it working. The only problem now is I lost all my contacts. What do I do??? :confused:

17. jennygamonet thread starter macrumors newbie

GOT THEM!!!!!!!
    Thank you guys for all your help LY
    :)

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm glad you got it all fixed. Did you end up going down the clean install route?

The key to a good user. :cool:

19. mpw Guest

Didn't notice this thread until just now, I know the problem is solved and I can't add anything of use now any more than I could've earlier.

I'd just like to say how refreshing it was to see a query asked about an issue that hadn't already been covered a hundred times, and asked in such a clear way. Makes me wish I could've helped.