Problems with Airport Express...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by danflakes, Apr 30, 2007.

1. danflakes macrumors newbie

Hello, I've recently purchased an airport express base station so that I could connect my mac mini to my wireless network/router, and because I was told that the airport extreme cards aren't compatible with mac minis, I was recommended to buy an airport express base station.

So, I have a question concerning the Airport Express Base Station: Is it possible to connect to the internet using the airport express base station from my G4 mac mini through ethernet? I mean it should be possible, right? I've been messing around with it, but I haven't been able to get anywhere. If any one can help or give me advice, i'd appreciate it greatly.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

When setting up the AirPort Express with AirPort Admin Utility, get it to use WDS to connect to your current wireless network. Then make sure the ethernet port is enabled in the Base Station Options. From here it should merely be a matter of plugging the ethernet cable into the mini. :)

3. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I'm not 100% on this but I thought you needed an airport enabled Mac (or WiFi enabled PC with software) to configure an airport base station.

I'd personally just join the network. WDS is not supported by all routers.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Oh yeah, sorry. The WDS tab in AirPort Admin Utility lets you join another network but redeye be is right, it's technically probably not gonna be WDS. I assumed if there's a wireless network then there must be a wirelessly-capable machine somewhere. Nevertheless, I'll try plugging my Mac into my Express later tonight via ethernet to see if I can configure it that way too.