Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
My old iBookG4 is on its last legs and I'm in the market for a new MacBook. I'd be happy to get the new aluminum-encased 13 inch MacBook, but I remember that the old MacBook Pro's didn't always get the best wireless reception, and hearing that it had something to do with the aluminum-casing. (My old plastic-encased iBook was often better able to pick up a signal than friends' MacBook Pro's).

Has anyone heard whether the new MacBook's have the same problem? Or is this something Apple fixed awhile ago?

Any advice about whether to go with an older white MacBook to avoid this potential issue or get one of the new aluminum MacBooks would be greatly appreciated.

liamuk7

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
England
Hi man, I've never had a mac before now. I've had a 24" imac for 1 day now, and I have noticed that getting an initial connection can be tricky. It doesn't always connect first time. But once it does it works fine, and is really fast.

It never really takes me any more than a couple of minutes to eventually connect, but one thing I have noticed since switching from PC to Mac, is the upload speed is poor. I have no idea why, I've tried a variety of different programs, and where I usually get a 30kb/s upload speed on my PC, my Mac never tops 5kb/s.

So based on my own experiences, only uploading is a major problem, and I have been impressed with the internet connection (for downloads and browsing) on the mac.

Hope that helps.

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
I don't know if liamuk7's situation is usual... For me, my MacBook (aluminum) is connected within a few seconds of waking it from sleep. I haven't seen any problems while using wireless, and don't see it being that big a problem. I think if you were doing scientific tests, you might see performance differences, but in the real world, I haven't seen any at all.

kamilxpl

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
Helo

I just got my New MacBook 2.4 Aluminum cassing and im having a problem connecting to the internet... When i do the network diagnostics it says that Network settings failed... Now its not the first time it has happened ...i used the network very often, but as im sitting and typing i cant connect...i tried restarting the computer and no success. My girlfriend has the same one and it happened to her once as well. Can anyone help us?? Am i the only one with this problem??

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Has anyone heard whether the new MacBook's have the same problem? Or is this something Apple fixed awhile ago?

My new MB is AMAZINGLY fast when picking up my wireless connection. Within seconds of waking from sleep, it's on the network. It's considerably faster than my 1.5 GHz PowerBook G4.

Obviously, only a single, anecdotal report, but take it for what it's worth.

cash4chaos

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
campbell ca
No problem new Macbook pro 2.4

Never a problem always connects.
I think the problem is with your router. Have you tried it elswhere?

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Works fine in two houses both with WRT54GL routers, Caribou coffee, and my university.

At my house with the WRT54GL it works very well just like my Aluminum iMac.

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
I just got my New MacBook 2.4 Aluminum cassing and im having a problem connecting to the internet... When i do the network diagnostics it says that Network settings failed... Now its not the first time it has happened ...i used the network very often, but as im sitting and typing i cant connect...i tried restarting the computer and no success. My girlfriend has the same one and it happened to her once as well. Can anyone help us?? Am i the only one with this problem??

I'm having the same problem. I can connect to some wireless networks but not others. Yesterday I connected at home, went to the airport and couldn't connect to United, went to Starbucks and connected fine, went to the hotel and connected fine, and got to my office and couldn't connect to either wifi setup we have. It's getting frustrating because I cannot find a workaround for it.

Any ideas?

[UPDATE -- At our office we have 2 wifi ssids. I rebooted one of them to see if I could connect -- which I could. Then I could all of a sudden connect to both. Back at the hotel tonight connected to the wireless 1st time. There is something definitely going and I cannot find a reliable way to connect to every wireless. Rebooting the router simply isn't an option at many places I go.]

[UPDATE2 -- The firmware update and/or 10.5.6 seems to have corrected these issues. 12/30/08]

Last edited:

gin00gin

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2010
Yes! problems with airport in new macbooks

I've just buy a brand new macbook pro 13" and the ****** thing is after a whole afternoon of having fun, the next day it simply disconnected from my wifi. first it had a prob with the i.p, after solved i was connected but still couldn't go on line on adium nor check my email and of course, no safari for me. so i had to connect via ethernet and there it went perfectly right, i even match the i.p.'s addresses in order to have it all fine, but in the end. Airport is still not working and I'm still attached to my ethernet cable... :mad:

if anyone sees an answer that i've not analized i'd be grateful to hear it, or else wait till monday to solve this thing.

BTW i've got 10.6.0 firmware actualized yesterday

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
Gin, you seem to have dug up a thread from 2008! >.<
You'll probably get help in this thread, but make sure you check dates when searching - some of these problems may have been long resolved and/or no longer relevant. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.