Problems with airport

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Odrakir, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Odrakir macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm new to Mac. As a matter of fact my new macbook got here last thursday.

Since that date I've been trying to connect it to my flat's WiFi with no success. I've searched over the internet, I've found people who has the same problems, but no solution.

All I accomplished was to connect it by removing the WEP encription of the connection. But it wont work if I turn it on. It detects the network, asks for the key and then when I insert it, after some second it says: "An error has ocurred trying to connect to Airport"... (or something similar, mine is in Spanish)

I have a WEP encryption with a 128 bits hexadecimal key.

I'm desperate, I'm about to call the technical service or take it back to the store.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

2. chipchen macrumors 6502

what about WPA? It's better encryption...

Also, usually when using WEP... and it asks for a key, you usually need to click on the WEP and choose one of the options... WEP (hex) or WEP (ASCII) or something like that. Try those. (sounds like you have... but be sure to try each one)

Do you have a special router or service? I'm guessing it's a wireless gateway router provided by your DSL or Cable company?

Or, if you're just not wanting other people to jump on your open network... you can do MAC address filtering...

3. Odrakir thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I solved it changing the encryption to WPA (which I think is better anyway) now I only got to get my flat mates to change it too.

Thanks

4. iBecks macrumors 6502

To solve the problem that you had with the HEX WEP key, you should have put a $ sign before the WEP key and all should connect ok.

But, you are right, WPA is much better than WEP.

5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

The thing is, some WLAN routers don't work together with Airport and WEP. You have to use something else then, just like you did.