Problems with AKE eSata card?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steffi, May 11, 2009.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

So I haven't seen anything in my logs yet but I get consistent lockups whenever I'm using eSata, AKE card off ebay with Newertech's Voyager Q and I've been seeing both Time Machine and Disk Warrior lockup when I'm using it. I'm trying to determine if it's the eSata card or whether I see similar lockups when I'm using only Firewire 800 for instance. One thing I do know is that the Voyager Q cannot act as a hub in so far as it won't pass on bus power over Firewire. That is a bit of a disappointment given that they have two FW800 connectors on the device.

So,

Those who tried to use the AKE card did you have any problems since using it?

2. kalieaire macrumors newbie

When I was using 10.5.6, I was having tons of issues with my AKE Card. Grey screening all the time, it'd work then it'd die. My MBP was worse than a Windows ME box.

The update from 10.5.7 made a huge difference. I'm not experiencing any issues like a lot of other 10.5.7 upgraders. My AKE Card all of the sudden works. I'm getting 75MB/s (yes megabytes!) over my eSATA card to a 320 gig Seagate 2.5".

If you're not leary of the 10.5.7 update, I'd go for it. Just remember to backup your data in case of OS failure.

3. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I'll try it again. Lately I've been running the Voyager Q over Firewire because of what I was seeing earlier with the AKE card. I'll try again, worse case I corrupt my Time Machine Backup when it hangs. In my case my whole machine was freezing not grey screening per se but I was running say EyeTV and everything will freeze and nothing responds. Hopefully that's gone with the 10.5.7 update.

4. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

Both the AKE BC338 and a completely different card which are both JMicron based lead to repeated and reproducable data corruption in combination with my late 2008 Macbook Pro. 10.5.7 makes no difference.

Sometimes OS X crashes, usually it's the AHCI kernel driver and with NTFS drives it can be the Paragon NTFS kernel driver.

I will test my cards with a HP laptop in some days, but I'm beginning to think that it's more the MBP than the cards.

Additionally I will try to find a driver by JMicron and see if it works better than the driver coming with OS X.

5. moiety macrumors member

My eSATA card seems to be working -- so far so good.

I did multiple Time Machine backups, no problems according to Disk Utility, Drive Genius and TechTool Pro.

I did a SuperDuper backup, same.

Steffi, are you using a unibody? I'm on the original 2006 Core Duo MBP.

Also, has anyone gotten boot support off this card? I've tried two different disks with valid OS X installs on them, and they won't show up when I hold down option at boot, and they won't boot when selected as Startup Disk. :(

6. ftored macrumors regular

ftored

Well i booted from this card just fine. No problems with booting with this card. I have an early 2008 mbp. They will b ott either way, from startyp disk or holding option and selecting them:$

7. moiety macrumors member

Thanks for sharing. I'm so jealous!! :(

I guess they added support for it in the hardware at a later point. I have the first Intel MBP ever and it's three years old so no surprise, I suppose. I will try the eSATA card with my mother's later generation 17" MBP and see if hers boots.

8. confuzzled. macrumors newbie

Were can I find drivers for the AKE 338 card the disc that shipped with mine has a Trojan on it:mad: