Problems with an external hard drive.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by erhilse, Jul 12, 2011.

1. erhilse macrumors newbie

erhilse

Hey everyone, I am having trouble with an external hard drive and was hoping for some help. I have an iMac 3.06 Intel Core 2 Duo with 4gb of ram and I am running 10.6.8. My hard drive is a Lacie 1TB. (Its the black one with the blue led strip under it) I have it partitioned into 2 parts. One being 250gb which was for storage then 750 for time machine backup. This is my problem I decided I wanted to do a clean install for Lion so I moved everything I needed onto my hard drive which was fine. Then I unplugged everything and then Erased my iMac hard drive then reinstalled Snow Leopard. Everything went perfect computer is running fast then I plug in my external start coping stuff back over to my desktop and after a while I started getting errors just saying unable to copy because of restrictions so I tried it a couple more times then I figured maybe a restart would help. I restarted my computer and now my external drive will not show up. I went to disk utility and it shows it on there but locks up when you select for about 10mins and I tried to repair but it said it had a problem. I tried using diskwarrior and one of my partitions will show up but when you select it in finder it locks up then usually disconnects itself. It keeps doing this randomly. So I thought maybe it was the enclosure so I took the drive out then placed it Cavalry 2 bay hard drive dock and it still did the same thing even on a different computer. I don't think it is mechanical because I don't hear any clicking noise and it makes some crunching noise as it always has when its trying to read information. I ran out of ideas and was wondering if anyone else had any. I appreciate the help.

2. Treesus macrumors newbie

hd :(

my external hd doesnt show up when i plug into my macbook pro!?!? seems that i'm not the only one! whats happening?:confused:

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

1. Click on the desktop and then click on the word 'Finder' in the top left corner. Then select "Preferences". In the pop-up 'General' tab make sure you put a checkmarks in the setting for "Show these items on the desktop:.

2. Reset Your PRAM to see if that helps.

3. Use /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and see if it can see/repair that disk.