Problems with AOL account in Apple Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by superspiffy, Jun 11, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

I've finally decided to use the Apple Mail that came with my Mac and I've added 3 email accounts as of 2 days ago: UCI webmail, gmail, and AOL. Everything's been working fine except when I've discovered the program can't log on the AOL account anymore. I saw the "lightning" icon besides the AOL account and Apple Mail gives me the following message:

"The IMAP server “imap.aol.com” rejected the password for user “screenname”

Please re-enter your password, or cancel."

Obviously the password is correct so I tried logging on AOL manually only to find this:

"An error occurred while retrieving your messages. Try again."

I can log on to AOL with my browser, access my Contacts, but it now gives the above message and it says I have 0 messages. I totally don't understand what's going on. Does anybody use Apple Mail with an AOL account? Anything I should know about?

2. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

That happens often, in fact just happened a few minutes ago. Just give it time eventually AOL, or whomever is at fault, will clear it up. Usually in under an hour.

3. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I was afraid it was a settings problem. Since I'm a totally noob at email clients, what does the outgoing mail server mean? What did you put as yours? Did you also select "Password" under the "Authentication" setting in "Server Settings"?

4. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

The Account type is IMAP. Yes I have Password under authentication. I don't understand too much of it, I just copied the info from a site a few years ago and it's worked ever since. Just once in a while it decides to be a pest. :)