Problems with autocad in bootcamp in mbp 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexander34, Jun 12, 2011.

1. alexander34 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I bought this MBP 2011 configuration:
    2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB (had a problem with 1 ram, so had to remove one. only 4gb left if that matters...)
    256GB Solid State Drive
    MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Resolution Antiglare Widescreen Display

Mac OS X 10.6.7 at the moment, 3.2 boot camp assitant and 64b windows 7 ultimate with all updates in bootcamp. Last(according to apple software update) versions of drivers.

Also have virtual machine in paralells(separate from bootcam), also windows 7, up to date.

Well, i dont really have complaints for anything, but autocad 2011/2012 in windows. I have small(~5mb) projects, which include pictures inside OLE objects.
    If i run it in bootcamp, when i pan or zoom or(as i suppose) do pretty much anything involving video card, it freezes for several seconds, lags and so on.
    Well, my collegues 400$ "backup" PC works way better with the same autocad version doing the same stuff, without a single glitch.
    The weird thing is, if i run the same thing in virtual machine using the same autocad version, it works way better(like 0.5sec delay between each operation), but still pretty bad.

So, i think there is a problem with video card drivers or compability or something...
    Have somebody encountered this problem? Any suggestions?
    Would be really glad if somebody help.

Thank you.

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Have you run Windows update to get the latest drivers? How about updates for Autocad?

3. alexander34 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ehm...i think windows update dont have anything to do with drivers. Or you mean apple software update in windows?
    Anyway, i have fully updated windows 7 64b, including none-important updates and internet explorer/office updates. Pretty much everything except multi-language updates.
    Also updated pretty much everything apple software update programm in windows asked me to, including even safari, itunes, quicktime and mobile me.

The drivers installed in win7 were downloaded and burned on a dvd 2 days ago using fully updated boot camp assitant 3.2 in Mac Os.
    After that i manually checked the video card driver updates using windows device manager "check for drivers" thingie. Says they are up to date.

4. alexander34 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not sure if 2012 autocad is up to date, but it doesnt ask for anything and always connected to internet, so i suppose it is.
    Also exactly same version of autocad works perfectly at bootcamped imac 2010(or 9, not sure) and pretty good at that backup PC, so i suppose the problem is in MBP software...

The only difference is that those systems are 32b and MBP's win 7 is 64b. Not sure if this matters.

5. wpotere Guest

6. alexander34 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am pretty new to macs. Is it ok to install none-apple drivers? I mean...i've read some scary phrases i dont really understand like "efi emulation, no bios" and so on.
    And, if yes, i should try updating processor driver? Not video card?

7. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Microsoft pushes quite a few hardware drivers out through Windows Update. In fact, its the easiest way to get WHQL drivers for most users.

And yes, you'd want to update the video drivers as previously suggested. Not the CPU driver.

8. alexander34 thread starter macrumors newbie

I still dont get it.

The video card shown in windows 7 device manager is amd radeon hd 6750.
    Not even sure if built in intel video card is working in windows 7 or, at least, dont know where to find it in device manager.
    I should find drivers for radeon or intel video card?

9. AFPoster macrumors 65816

you know Autocad is available in a Mac version now right?

10. alexander34 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am, but its not an option becouse i need some windows only programms too...

11. wpotere Guest

12. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Well then, I would install it on your Mac anyways, just to see if it works better. If it does, then you have a problem with some of your windows drivers.

13. maclook macrumors 65816

Autocad for Mac sucks right now. Serious drafters still need to resort to the more mature Windows version.