Problems with battery on 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sazza85, Oct 17, 2009.

1. sazza85 macrumors member

So yesterday, I was using my iphone, full battery had been off charge for about 3hours. I went to go and use it and it was dead. got it to flash up that the battery was dead (I've never even had a iphone lose charge on me ever in the entire time ive owned an iphone). So I charged it up, did the 3.1.2 update and off i went.

Today after the phone was off charge for 2hours it flashed up 20% battery remaining, 10mins later 10% 50mins later phone was dead, all i made was a 2min phone call. Couldn't get anywhere near a charger, then randomly 4hours later the apple logo appeared on the phone, the phone started up and it had over half it's battery life. Worked fine for 2hours, then no warning, dead again.

Of course apple won't touch it as it's from Australia and im in the UK.

So does anyone have any suggestions as to whats going on?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

First the obvious:
    Do you have anything like gmail push on? If so, remember that calls to a pseudo exchange server and if that server is overloaded then there is no doubt that it will continue to hit that server until it gets what it wants.

Do you have other apps with push notifications?

Is your iPod accidentally on (playing)? I've done this before believe it or not.

Is wifi on? Is it being told to ask to join any network?

Bluetooth on? Is it somehow trying to discover devices within range?

These are just my basic ideas from a non-techy person.

3. sazza85 thread starter macrumors member

I'm running my phone the same configuration as normal.

Yes wifi's on, push email isn't on, yes bluetooth is on. Just don't see how a phone can go from working fine and lasting a good 8hours of use on and off throughout the day to not being able to last more than 10mins web browsing and a 2min call.

Running the same configuration as I did on the 3g which ran fine for almost a year, and the 3gs has been running fine for 1 month 8days, considering it's only 1 month 10days old now

4. oldimac macrumors regular

Had a similar problem but just figured it was because it had been dropped before.

All of a sudden it just would not come out of sleep unless it was plugged into my car chager or my ac charger or into the computer (24" iMac). If it was plugged in, it came out of sleep fine MOST of the time tho sometimes the Apple logo would come on for a minute and then the password screen would come on and everything was ok.

I figured it was the battery since it was a v1 and I had purchased it in April 2008 and it had been a refurb from ATT in New Hampshire. The battery didn't help at all - the new battery wasn't any better than the old one - www.iphonebatteryrepair.com - don't recommend them.

So now I charge it and set it to NEVER turn off and dim the screen way down. That's the only way it works. No ATT here so I can't get another.

5. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Is that an assumption, or have you actually been refused warranty service? I thought the warranty was international.